• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder Supplies In Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody know of a GOOD online shop in Canada?

Have never come across one and the few stores I've found things in just seem to carry them as an "Oh, what the heck" sideline. Got no issues ordering from the U.S. but anytime somebody enquires I tell them that they are SOL for shopping in Canada.

I understand Hillfolk in Sask is decent but have never found them online.

As you said, there are scatterings of supplies at almost every local gun store, but only very sparse and almost always the same items. “Traditions” brand this or that, a few choices of round balls and powder of course. I speak only of traditional muzzleloading supplies in this response. There are no good online sources in Canada to my knowledge. Mail order from the US is the only real option. I was recently asked by a friend about a supplier for Plum Brown. I had no answer...
Walk

Our club make an annual (or so) purchase of many pounds (prepaid by members) via a local blasting company. He usually has some stock, but for big amounts, he has to bring it in . You might try to arrange the same thing near you.

Thanks for the info about Powder, it's not a real big problem. A store in Calgary stocks it and I get a few pounds at a time. I understand a nearby club also does bulk purchase.

My lead is a bit pricey but I get it at a distributor so I know I'm getting pure, clean lead. Having ball isn't an issue by doing my own casting.

It's pretty much everything else that is hard to find. Most everything is geared toward .50 and as for caps or flint's, grab what is available when you can. Plus a lot of stuff isn't directed toward traditionals.

Quite happy with service from the south and will continue that way. Maybe there just isn't enough interest up here for many places to get serious about it.

I live in southern Ontario and shoot a .54 cal flintlock, therefore I must internet order from the USA every type of supply except balls which I cast my self because I want good ones not the golf ball dimpled stuff on the bottom shelf at Basspro. Powder, GOEX BP is usually available in my LGS.
Old Eynsford cost near double Standard GOEX so it not normally stocked. Old Eynsford powder always requires a 3 to 4 month wait as it get hand delivered to the LGS by salesman from the Ottawa area distributor. Canada Post won’t touch it, my LGS says courier hazmat cash grab fees jack up the price too much so customers won’t buy it once the shipping charges are added on.
All my area stores just serve the 50 caliber sabot crowd.

A couple of years ago I bought some GOEX powder at the Calgary gun show from a guy who claimed to be the main supplier for Alberta, paid around $10 less than the local price. Grande Prairie prices were $10 more than Calgary, so $20 more than his price to me.

Supply and demand I guess.

muzzleloading supplies and parts in Canada has always been spotty. you can go to places like cabelas and get a few things that THEY think a black powder shooter needs but i had very little success at those type of stores.
it has been my experience to order parts and shippable equipment from the US.
BUT.
your best suppliers are the traders at rondyvoos. in places that i have lived there has been some wonderful person that takes it upon him or herself to make a little business for themselves but supplying black powder shooting and reenacting stuff. and usually at decent prices. so to find them go to the shoots. once you find them support them.
OU
tom

Give hillfolk musket supply a call. They’re located out of Saskatchewan and have a pretty good selection of supplies. They can provide the powder but have to deal with the same problems with shipping that kind of stuff.

No website or anything like that, but they have just about anything you need to get your gun going. Fantastic service, very friendly and helpful. A google search will pull up their phone number.

Hillfolk are well regarded from what I have heard. Do wish they had online shopping. On the other hand, less spontaneous purchases.
Rusty wood is adequate in my opinion but can't compare to some U.S companies. As I said earlier, guess it's a case of degree of demand and we don't have a large enough market for much expansion of supplies.

Stopped by Cabelas in Mission B.C. today. $12 for two flints, before taxes.

I do flintknapping as a side hobby, and i've been doing a bit of research in doing gunflints. If I can get any good at it I'll certainly make them available up here in canada for a much more reasonable price.

I took a picture of the catalogue they had sent with my order. I hope this will help clear up what they have available.

13978-836b774a671e325cc43f05dba15d6f87.jpg

Attachments

• 7hmAqHJ.jpg
    7hmAqHJ.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 275
I've bought a Pedersoli P53 and 2 cap and ball revolvers from Marstar, they also have some parts . John sold out and the guys are great. I don't live far so I can order and p/u same day, except for handguns of course. Higginson Powders is close by too. Goex is a 2 hour drive, not Cabelas the robber barons. But TOTW and Taylors Firearms in the USA are good places to find most anything you need. Shipping and a weak dollar are killers though. Close to the States so maybe drop in to Vermont and p/u stuff that's legal to leave the country with.

Cross border shopping has taken a terrible turn, you have to be very watchful of what you can and CANNOT have in your possession in case you are stopped by US homeland Security.( And you will get stopped, with hefty fines )
The list of forbidden products are vague and hard to find, so do your homework, before you cross the border, or you WILL PAY!
I have been a black powder shooter for over fifty years, things have gone downhill at a terrible pace.
Higgonson Powders in Hawksbury, On. are a good supplier, but you have to drive there to get powder & caps.
Lead is becoming a hazardous material, so you have to search well in your area to find some,
Look, it is out there. Plumbing stores, roofers, Bell Canada linesmen. Lead pipe from long ago is very good casting, do not use connections, or joints they are mixed with other metals.
Your municipal works often dig up lead pipe and is available IF you ask nicely.
Wheel wights are good only for smooth bore guns, it is hard and won't compress. Also lead is no longer used to make wheel weights, so even that is becoming unusable.
Browning solution is hard to find or buy as it has a nitric acid base, making it a hazardous material, and the permits required are not worth the small profit margin to bring it in.
If needed, I can send you a list of materials to make over two gallons of browning solution. That should keep you going for a month or two. ( Yeah, I know TWO (2 ) GALLONS )
Have a great day!
Fred

Corlanes Sporting Goods in Dawson Creek BC has black powder supplies. They had a couple of GPR flintlocks on the rack a few months ago. They have Goex powder but its pricey.
Italian Sporting Goods in Vancouver have a limited supply of BP stuff too. They will order stuff in for you too. A 100 count box of Hornady .440 balls is 15 bucks there.

I'm going to the Monroe WA. show this coming weekend and need to find out if I can bring lead ball across the border. I know powder is a no go but not sure about lead.

Cross border shopping has taken a terrible turn, you have to be very watchful of what you can and CANNOT have in your possession in case you are stopped by US homeland Security.( And you will get stopped, with hefty fines )
The list of forbidden products are vague and hard to find, so do your homework, before you cross the border, or you WILL PAY!
I have been a black powder shooter for over fifty years, things have gone downhill at a terrible pace.
Higgonson Powders in Hawksbury, On. are a good supplier, but you have to drive there to get powder & caps.
Lead is becoming a hazardous material, so you have to search well in your area to find some,
Look, it is out there. Plumbing stores, roofers, Bell Canada linesmen. Lead pipe from long ago is very good casting, do not use connections, or joints they are mixed with other metals.
Wheel wights are good only for smooth bore guns, it is hard and won't compress. Also lead is no longer used to make wheel weights, so even that is becoming unusable.
Browning solution is hard to find or buy as it has a nitric acid base, making it a hazardous material, and the permits required are not worth the small profit margin to bring it in.
If needed, I can send you a list of materials to make over two gallons of browning solution. That should keep you going for a month or two. ( Yeah, I know TWO (2 ) GALLONS )
Have a great day!
Fred
Higginson no longer sells percussion caps. For years I bought # 11's there and CCI musket caps, the good ones not the underpowered manure they sell now. The 4 wing I think it is.

Have a great day!
Fred

How about this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000C5153?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Birchwood Casey 14130 Plum Brown Barrel Finish, 5-Ounce

Back