• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black powder shortage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local gun shop & range says they can only store up to 40 pounds, Then they have to go and pick it up at a distributor in person; the store clerks have an Explosives License background check to do this. This is in SE PA. The distributor is in another county. They had a big run on the stuff Tuesday once the news broke, they didn't find out 'til Wednesday, then couldn't get thru to the distributor on the phone.

Which shop is local, Kings? Shydas Sold out of powder Thursday morning, 1lb limit per person. I heard the clerk say no more left to someone.

Really dislike saying it, but I think we will soon see BP in the $50-75/lb range. And we will be happy getting it at even that price.

And I hate to agree with you but I have to.

It's just like when the primer shortage happened for those of us who reload for modern guns. Now when they are available it's at prices 3 times what they used to be not so long ago. I hear guys saying "I'll never pay that price", and all I can say is they better find another hobby.

As everyone now seems to be worried about conserving as much of the "black gold" as possible, then you should consider Swiss because it takes about 15% LESS Swiss to achieve the same velocity in my flint guns as Goex. In my .50 caliber rifle for example, I can get away with using 60 grains of Swiss to get the same performance as a 70 or even 75 grain charge of Goex. Yes - Swiss does cost more than Goex or OE but to me it used to be a wash price wise, due to my getting more shots from every pound of Swiss (a bit easier clean-up was just a plus), but now that the cheaper powder may no longer be available the Swiss seems like the better deal because it does go farther per pound for me. Can't speak to weather or not this would be true of Schuetzen since I have not used it much.

Brands/makes and powder granulation can be a very subjective topic. I have over the course of time shot the few different types and have no real conviction one way or the other which is best or better. But I am not trying to drive my hunting loads for every last screaming feet per second, and the same with my target loads I am not trying for every last .001 of my group size. I am sure what and if what ever comes down the road I will have to make work for my type of shooting. I like experimenting.

And I hate to agree with you but I have to.

It's just like when the primer shortage happened for those of us who reload for modern guns. Now when they are available it's at prices 3 times what they used to be not so long ago. I hear guys saying "I'll never pay that price", and all I can say is they better find another hobby.
If any have missed this memo… we’re in an inflationary cycle currently. Supply line issues are one reason, but among other things the fed is printing money like tomorrow will never happen and we’re living under a decidedly business unfriendly administration. We’re seeing unprecedented crony capitalism picking winners and losers and these people hate our hobbies and way of life.

I have hunted in heavy snowfall. It was 7 or more inches deep. I had 80 grains of Pyrodex I'm my hawken. I took three shots at deer walking up a hill in less than 40 seconds using conicals. No misfires or lag time. I used pyrodex for many years, thousands of shotsbinbevery kind of weather in my T/C hawken with 100% relability. I would think your friends gun had oil maybe that wasn't cleaned out or some other fault. It's easy to blame pyrodex when many times the cause is poor gun maintenance on the part of the owner. Like computers ... it is always the computers fault and never user error.
Ohio Rusty
Sounds like you were using a cap gun. I use T7 in my perc pistols, but my rifles are all flint. No matter how I loaded them with Pdex or T7 ignition failures were very high and delay between pan and main charge really excessive . In short, subs are fine in cap guns, and all but totally useless in flints.

Well the scalpers are out. Was at my “go to” gun and ammo store who usually have dirt cheap prices competing with mail order bulk ammo. Bought a bunch of modern ammo, and asked them if the have any black powder. Sure they have Goex 2ff. I asked how much........$60 bucks a pound!!!! I asked him if it has gold shaving in it, what’s with that!! He said 60 bucks. Told him he can keep it and mixed with his coffee, don’t want it, I’ll make my own before I ever pay that much.

Last edited:
Well the scalpers are out. Was at my “go to” gun and ammo store who usually have dirt cheap prices competing with mail order bulk ammo. Bought a bunch of modern ammo, and asked them if the have any black powder. Sure they have Goex 2ff. I asked how much........$60 bucks a pound!!!! I asked him if it has gold shaving in it, what’s with that!! He said 60 bucks. Told him he can keep it and mixed with his coffee, don’t want it, I’ll make my own before I ever pay that much.

Have you bought your ball mill yet?

I want to still enjoy shooting. Yes looking into that also. Been doing my homework on BP the last few months on it, and may start trying it myself. Nothing to raise eyebrows, just to cover what I would need.

@TheOutlawKid makes powder and says it’s the equal of Olde Eynsford. I miss that guy, a young, bright fellow. We need more of him around..

Back