• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder shops in Indiana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this. We moved to north central Indiana a little over a yr ago, so I'm still not real familiar with the area. I'm In between Kokomo, and Ft Wayne there's lots of gunshops and archery around here but very little traditional muzzle loader stuff. I've looked on the internet but not much luck which leaves me the only alternative and that's driving to Cabelas in Noblesville. I would much rather do business with the smaller shops if I knew where they were at so if any of you guys that live in Indiana read this I would appriciate the names of some shops that deal in traditional Muzzel loading equipment.
Thanks,
Paul

I went to Cabela's a week ago to buy some caps......Got an education in screwery ( happens every time I go there).....I could have bought them online from cabelas cheaper than at the store. Even after paying shipping and hazmat. Needless to say they didn't get my money.

If you can't find a local shop Go online....but steer clear of Cabelas for muzzleloading equipment. There are much better vendors out there.

Paul,

Though they are not a gun shop, you might try a call or even try a 32 mile drive up to Pierceton to Townsend's and ask them.
https://www.jas-townsend.com/

Unfortunately, all my good friends from Fort Wayne have passed away in the last 10 years, or I may have been able to help more.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Cabelas is expensive not only with black powder stuff but with most things firearms related. But my daughter is starting school in Indy next week so we drove out there to make sure she knows where she's going, and Cabelas is right off I69 on the way so I stopped to get the remainder of what I need for my cap & ball revolver. 100 .454 balls, 100#10 caps, 100 wads, and a container of bore butter =$49.00 ridiculouse. I'm sure there's black powder shops out here, I thinks it's just a matter of looking harder and asking everyone at the gun shops and range. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to wait till early summer, for the past two summers I've noticed they have a rendezvous right off 31 near Purue and Rochester I'll stop by there I'm sure after that I'll know every place in Indiana and western Ohio, but hopefully some black powder Hoosers will read this and come to my rescue :wink:

On the 5th and 6th of November there is a traders Fair at the fairgrounds in Greenfield. IN. its 30 minutes east of Indianapolis and south of I-70. The folks there can guide you onto the right trail. I'll get you more info on this event first chance I get.
I'll be there as our group will be doing some recruiting for our unit.

Here is the rest of the information.
Its at the Hancock County 4H Fairgrounds sponsored by the Blue River Long Rifles. The hours are 9-5 Sat, Nov, 5th and 9-3 Sun, Nov, 6th. Directions are I-70 east from Indianapolis, to Exit 104 south on SR-9 to US 40 turn left at light and go east to Apple St turn left at the light and just up the road to the left is the fairgrounds. Hope you can find what your looking. Also you get up to Ft Wayne visit those folks there and they should help. Check them out on line for the hours that they are at the fort.

I was referring to the historic Fort Wayne which is a log fort built in Ft Wayne. They have a website you can visit. Those folks are good people and maybe able to help out as well.

I live in Noblesville, and my conclusion is that shows are probably the best option for traditional muzzleloaders, however The Outdoor Sport shoppe on old 31 in Greenwood has quite a bit. . 1010 S State Rd 135

I used to work at the Noblesville Cabelas. Worked it when it opened . . I worked Customer Service . . the store will match any price on their own web site, just show it to them. They are good folks, but not many know much about Muzzleloaders there . . I was really disappointed when we opening and I realized the there were nothing but those synthetic unmentionables . . . that they call muzzleloaders . . not a single Pedersoli . . . just a Traditions kit once in a while. They claimed that what they stock is based upon customer surveys . . .and perhaps of the Indy area there's not much interest in Traditional ML's but I question that . .plus it's not a huge store like some Cabela's.

Well, I don't live in Indiana, but I do use Smoke and Fire News. They are located in Ohio. What I do know is from there email that they will be at the following events in Indiana:

Nov 5-6 Blue River Longrifle Show Greenfield IN
Nov 12-13 205th Tippecanoe Battleground Indiana

You should be able to find some vendors at those events.

You can cut your shooting costs in half if you cast your own bullets and punch out your own wads.
BTW, the size and shape of the wads are not critical. They can be undersized, and even square. Their only purpose is to hold lubricant, not being any sort of gas seal or chain-fire prevention.
Believe me, I know. I shoot my percussion revolvers year-round, and carry them around quite a bit. Have for many years.

Well I learned about 3 weeks ago from a vendor.... they cannot sell black powder or caps at a show.....
And being the bad news guy. I worked at the Outdoors SportcShop in Greenwood.. it was my home away from home. They no longer sell blackpowder just Trip l e 7 ,,I will pass.

I went to Cabela's a week ago to buy some caps......Got an education in screwery ( happens every time I go there).....I could have bought them online from cabelas cheaper than at the store. Even after paying shipping and hazmat. Needless to say they didn't get my money.

If you can't find a local shop Go online....but steer clear of Cabelas for muzzleloading equipment. There are much better vendors out there.
If you order caps online from Cabelas and have them shipped to a store for pickup there are no charges for HAZMAT or shipping.

Look up two bear arms gun shop in warsaw I believe.
Actually, Two Bear Arms is off SR19 south of Etna Green. 8414 W 25 S, Etna Green. Also, Mark Miller in Nappannee is an excellent smith, has helped me a number of times and has a good selection of parts and supplies. Kempf Gun shop in Michigan city is good and The Firing Pin in Niles Michigan was pretty good last I checked. Unfortunately more and more shops are not catering to black powder anymore.

Back