• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder shooting`s getting ex-Pen-SIVE!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No special building. Just a powder magazine that meets certain specifications. Basically a metal box of certain dimensions and wall thicknesses.
You are referring to indoor Type 2 magazines which are limited to 50 lbs. Most retailers would need a Type 1 magazine. If you are a DIY'er, they can be built at a reasonable price but would cost you quite a bit to have a contractor build one.

Sure is if you need it and maybe before the next election you will look back with fond memory's on the great price back when it was legal to purchase /just sayin get it while you can /I am Ed
You are right! I recall the days when we could get five gallons of gas for a dollar, those were the days. I also remember when my friends and I had a problem scrapeing up the dollar? Now I just pull out the plastic card and pay for a full tank of gas? I don't want to go back now when I think about it?

I just came home from Deercreek Gun Store in Marietta, GA, where I paid $50 for a pound of 1.5 f Swiss; $40 for a pound of 2f Schuetzen; and $18 for a tin or #11 percussion caps.

Oh well; it's only money!
Don’t pay prices like that! Did you let them know there thieves! I’d make my own before paying those prices and have made caps that work fine. A little tedious but for 60 dollars for the tool and the mix kit you will be set. I found soft copper sheets at mcmasters instead of soda cans more appealing. Buy the capper tool they work and make your own powder. I find this post very upsetting. My gun shop doesn’t over price to his customers and there’s plenty of others this store are thieves.

You all remember a few months ago when you could not find bp and when you did it was high priced because there was so little available? Schutzen had not cranked up importing, grafs and other major suppliers had none to sell? Those that had it jacked up the price and folks were desperate? Remember those days and most of you said i will pay what i need ro pay and figure out ways to cut back. Well the only black powder supplier in georgia found some and we in georgia have an option. Has not been that long ago folks.

Don’t pay prices like that! Did you let them know there thieves! I’d make my own before paying those prices and have made caps that work fine. A little tedious but for 60 dollars for the tool and the mix kit you will be set. I found soft copper sheets at mcmasters instead of soda cans more appealing. Buy the capper tool they work and make your own powder. I find this post very upsetting. My gun shop doesn’t rape his customers and there’s plenty of others this store are thieves.
Go away. You have no idea what you are talking about. You ever been there? You ever met them? ...., You are way over the line. I mean WAY OVER THE LINE with your comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
You all remember a few months ago when you could not find bp and when you did it was high priced because there was so little available? Schutzen had not cranked up importing, grafs and other major suppliers had none to sell? Those that had it jacked up the price and folks were desperate? Remember those days and most of you said i will pay what i need ro pay and figure out ways to cut back. Well the only black powder supplier in georgia found some and we in georgia have an option. Has not been that long ago folks.
I have often wondered why BP was so expensive? Salt peter, sulfer and charcoal mixed up and there is BP? These chemicals cost very little. Taxes and government regulations do need to be considered but even with these cost I have to say it appears that some suppliers are gouging the buyers? This is capitalism at its finest! LOL!

I have often wondered why BP was so expensive? Salt peter, sulfer and charcoal mixed up and there is BP? These chemicals cost very little. Taxes and government regulations do need to be considered but even with these cost I have to say it appears that some suppliers are gouging the buyers? This is capitalism at its finest! LOL!
Yes, taken advantage of at all levels. Capitalism.......you can take advantage of the convienence and easy access or wait for supplies and equipment over the internet that may never arrive. Then take 10 hours or more to make your first pound and load testing it to determine if it is satisfactory. Hummmm, 10 hours of my time is $100 before equipment costs. Just for powder, now caps are another bunch of equipment and hours invested. Does not mean it is not fun and educational or even what a prepper might do to be prepared. Yep i have done that for sure. But the world has not come to an end for me yet. I will just go in and buy my tc cherokee 45 for $135 and no it is not for sale nor is my hopkins and allen underhammer for $175, plus many other items. All a person's choice.

They have always been out of line with high prices. I don’t shop there because of that. I have sold guns and horns through them on consignment and found a 30 percent fee outrageous. Sometimes they sell your merchandise and forget to let you know If it’s a cash sale.
Sounds like a nitch shop that’s laughing all the way to the bank LOL even funnier is 50 a pound! We have them in Ny to

Calm down folks.

A few members think this is price gouging...the price IS high I observe that as well...., @Joemolf expressed that if he had a shop he'd sell the BP for "cost" (I paraphrase). WELL HOW does one know that wasn't what happened? 🤔

We think all shops, everywhere, find the best deals and buy in bulk. BUT for all WE know, the shop bought whatever powder they could find simply to be able to sell some to their customers, and WE HAVE NO IDEA what the markup was on that powder. 😶

On the other hand IF any shop bought a large amount of powder at say $23 a pound, then doubled the price, which with taxes brought it up to $50..., that would be way overpriced, likely price gouging, BUT..., since it's the buyer's choice to buy (it's not food, nor fuel, it's recreation) then it is NOT THEFT.

For those that disagree with Joemolf, lets keep the responses to an evaluation of his point, and not personal name calling? And lets not respond with more name calling.

LD

Wow , I've been buying sheutzen 3f for $21 a pound , got 5 pounds a couple months ago getting 5 more this coming Saturday for same price !
Well I guess there’s no chance of selling you a bridge? You did good those are prices I’d pay and they are out there end of March/April is supposedly the next stock refresh

Calm down folks.

A few members think this is price gouging...the price IS high I observe that as well...., @Joemolf expressed that if he had a shop he'd sell the BP for "cost" (I paraphrase). WELL HOW does one know that wasn't what happened? 🤔

We think all shops, everywhere, find the best deals and buy in bulk. BUT for all WE know, the shop bought whatever powder they could find simply to be able to sell some to their customers, and WE HAVE NO IDEA what the markup was on that powder. 😶

On the other hand IF any shop bought a large amount of powder at say $23 a pound, then doubled the price, which with taxes brought it up to $50..., that would be way overpriced, likely price gouging, BUT..., since it's the buyer's choice to buy (it's not food, nor fuel, it's recreation) then it is NOT THEFT.

For those that disagree with Joemolf, lets keep the responses to an evaluation of his point, and not personal name calling? And lets not respond with more name calling.

LD
Not theft but certainly taking advantage of a trumped up situation

Used to be, the hazmat and shipping fees nixed any bargains for ordering BP online. No more. If you see it, buy it. Even with all that mixed in, ordering 5# or more works out way cheaper than what the OP paid and you don't have to drive to get it, either. There is something to be said for supporting the little guy and local small biz, but there are other ways to do that without getting clobbered on pricing for BP. No doubt this vendor overpaid for his powder during the recent drought and is simply trying to recoup his expenses, but that's really his issue and not the customer's IMHO.

I just came home from Deercreek Gun Store in Marietta, GA, where I paid $50 for a pound of 1.5 f Swiss; $40 for a pound of 2f Schuetzen; and $18 for a tin or #11 percussion caps.

Oh well; it's only money!

We all do what we have to do. A bird in the hand is better than a Blackpowder Rifle with no blackpowder to shoot in it. I have recently started making my own, and seeing success. We don't know from day to day what's going to happen in the market or import laws, so do what you have to do to keep shootin.

HH

Calm down folks.

LD
Excuse me LD but he accused someone of being a thief multiple times not price gouging and that person/shop is not a member here to defend themselves. Has Mr. joe been admonished for his name calling and accusations? Please do not insult my intelligence. I know those folks personally and have shopped with them for over 35 years. If i do not like the price on anything in their shop, i say it is a bit high and pass on buying. But they have been accused of being thieves and that is fundementally and morally wrong. We have enough of that in the for sale section. These folks are good honest folks.

Start a BP plant and sell us some for $15. I'll take 25 lbs of 3f.

There is an ongoing buying/hoarding panic. Vendors will continue to charge outrageous prices for muzzleloader ammunition so long as muzzle loader shooters are willing to pay those outrageous prices.

Recently talked with a counter person at a large sporting goods store. That store routinely receives 209 primers, #11 caps and Pyrodex. The first couple muzzleloader shooters to spot the stuff grab it all.

If prices ever go down, stock up on caps and powder.

This is the second muzzleloader ammo buying panic. i was well stocked before the last panic and have enough powder and caps to outlast me by 30 years.

There is an ongoing buying/hoarding panic. Vendors will continue to charge outrageous prices for muzzleloader ammunition so long as muzzle loader shooters are willing to pay those outrageous prices.

Recently talked with a counter person at a large sporting goods store. That store routinely receives 209 primers, #11 caps and Pyrodex. The first couple muzzleloader shooters to spot the stuff grab it all.

This is the second muzzleloader ammo buying panic. i was well stocked before the last panic and have enough powder and caps to outlast me by 30 years.
Yea, when a person comes up to me with their hands full i ask, "did you leave one?" If they say yes, i say "good you are not a hoarder". They look at me funny most of the time as it sinks in. If thw answer is no, they get the stink eye from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back