Black Powder Shooting Books

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Chaco24, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:15 PM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2019 at 9:15 PM #1

Chaco24

Chaco24

Chaco24

32 Cal

can anyone recommend the most informative book to buy on black powder firearms??? TIA

2. Mar 15, 2019 at 9:29 PM #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Wow so many , start with Ned Roberts, Sam Falada’s book of muzzel loading, Lyman’s Black powder balistics.
    There are lots after that that get into the weeds.
    Russels works on frontier guns are good, Hanson’s works even better.

Woodnbow and Chaco24 like this.
  3. Mar 15, 2019 at 9:42 PM #3

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

If I had to choose one book that covers most of the stuff I would need to know about muzzleloaders it would probably be "BLACK POWDER GUN DIGEST", a soft cover book that was published back in the '70's.
    It isn't in production now but it is easy to find on the net or in a lot of "Used Book" stores, usually at a price of $7 to $12. I saw some un-circulated ones on the web but the idiots were wanting $60 for them.

The only thing it is a little weak on is its coverage of flintlocks.

Lymans, "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" is a great book if your interested in velocities of various powder/ball/bullet loads. About 1/3 of it covers some of the basics about muzzleloading guns and shooting them. It doesn't have much if anything about shooting flintlocks though.

A real "oldie" that is worth having is the "SHOOTERS BIBLE BLACK POWDER GUIDE" by Major George Nonte.
    It was written back in the early '70's and is also available at used book stores or on the web.
    Although it was written a long time ago and it says nothing about the synthetic black powders. Loading and shooting traditional muzzleloaders hasn't changed much since then so the book is still worth looking for.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Chaco24 likes this.
  4. Mar 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM #4

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

+ 1 on shooters bible:thumb:

5. Mar 15, 2019 at 11:17 PM #5

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

45 Cal.

Thats a really hard one since there are so many good books on the subject. Many of the really good ones are about a specific type of firearm or kind of black powder shooting.

6. Mar 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM #6

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

Sam Fadala's "The Complete Black Powder Handbook" helped to teach me to use muzzle loaders before there was any internet.
    Just read the user reviews for any of them to see what they include and just how informative they are.
    My local library used to have a copy, and there have been many updated editions.

7. Mar 15, 2019 at 11:47 PM #7

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

45 Cal.

Its been years since I read any of them But there was a series of Muzzleloading Safety Handbooks . One was on rifles, the next pistols, then theres one on shotguns. It was joint effort by the NMLRA and the NRA. I'm not even sure they're in print any more.Almost any book you pick up on the topic will be educational. I dont read too many how-to books anymore because the print seems to have gotten "finer".

8. Mar 16, 2019 at 12:09 AM #8

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Yes that's a good one. Brought it years ago but I still go back and reread it every so often.

arcticap likes this.
  9. Mar 16, 2019 at 12:42 AM #9

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

45 Cal.

Actually its amazing what info one can pick up from a Dixie Gun Works catalog. Alot of useful tid bits in them pages.

10. Mar 16, 2019 at 12:55 AM #10

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

45 Cal.

Two books I find useful are "Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation" by Eric A. Bye and "Percussion Pistols And Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use" by Mike Cumpston.

Amazon has the Eric Bye book for 24 bucks as an ebook and used copies starting at $145 which is insane. I want books like this in paper. Crazy Crow has new copies for 29.95 and shipping. I think it is worth the price.

Another vote for Sam Fadala's "The Complete Black Powder Handbook". I used it to get started back before there was an internet.

Jeff

arcticap and Chaco24 like this.
  11. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:10 AM #11

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

40 Cal

Fadalas books on the subject are good, anything written by Nonte is very good.

arcticap likes this.
  12. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:12 AM #12

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

Woodnbow

40 Cal

How to vent a percussion rifle barrel? Seriously, some of the information in the dgw catalog is sound. Some is questionable.

13. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:56 AM #13

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

You have to watch any book for weird info. George Nonte’ book that Necci mentioned is real good, and just like Falada’s book I leaf through them often. However Nonte hated PRB for hunting and was clear in his disdain for it.
    Still Dixie Nonte, Falada,the books of buck-skinning, pyrodex hand book from the seventies, ect are full of good useful info.... and some not as good.

Woodnbow likes this.
  14. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM #14

Chaco24

Chaco24

Chaco24

32 Cal

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I found 2 books at Amazon.com Percussion Pistols and Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use. And Shooter’s Bible: Black Powder Guide. I think between these 2 books I should be set.

Woodnbow likes this.
  15. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:47 AM #15

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Need to narrow it down to pistols or rifles. Then can make better choices.

At this point it would be Ned Roberts, Walter Cline for rifles or Cumpston and Bates for Revolvers.

Overall it goes to Roberts and Cline from my library, hands down no doubt. I read a lot.

16. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:09 PM #16

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

Another option it to check out your local library. They may have several of the books mentioned available to check out. That would give you a chance to browse through them to see if you want to add to your own library. Also, many libraries can get books they don't have through library loan too. Libraries are great places to learn things. While you are there, check out the periodical section too. They may have interesting magazines with information related to our interests here.

17. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:19 PM #17

TFoley

TFoley

TFoley

62 Cal.

Strangely enough, I have all of those books................. :)

18. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:33 PM #18

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Interesting that you mention your local library.

When I moved I had a lot of books and I went to the local library to donate them. They told me if the books were over 5 years old they did not want them. I asked they lady if I had a Gutenberg Bible would they take it, and her response was if it was over 5 years old they would not take it. Sigh.

When I was learning to shoot black powder I went to the library on base and in town and checked out books to learn, that was before the days of the internet and instant learning.

I still value books and read a lot.

Woodnbow likes this.