• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder Shipping in IL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here live in Illinois? If so have you ever ordered Real Black Powder online and had it delivered? Would it be legal to do so in this trash heap of a state we call Illinois? I have searched online and can’t find anything about black powder. I just recently heard it is illegal to have a Black powder cap and ball Revolver delivered to anyone other than an ffl in Illinois, so I’m trying to comply with these ridiculous laws (aka infringements). Also what about a Kibler flintlock kit that is not assembled? Would it be illegal to have it shipped to ones home in Illinois? I am assuming it is legal for the Kibler flintlock Kit, considering you can buy 80% lowers and all Other parts needed to build an ar15 and have them delivered to your door legally. Please educate me. Thank you

An option, would be to pick up your order from the below: I have bought powder from them for several years.

Fleener

Jon & Jennifer Blackert
P.O. Box 44
Mineral, IL 61344
309-945-2666 Cell 815-542-6287 Office
[email protected]

I talked to one company, not for BP but other stuff centerfire and they said they just needed a copy of the FOID card. Give them a call and ask. Depending on your location Gafs is not that far or at least not that far for me. Like less than an hour.

Yeah, I had to make a copy of my FOID and maybe also my Drivers License and email it to several retailers. Not all want the drivers License.

If I have any trouble receiving my Kibler kit, I'll let you know. Hoping it will be along soon.

I am in central Illinois, far from Cook county, and that's really why some ask for the drivers license, as a 2nd verification of that. Or so they have mentioned.

Yeah, I had to make a copy of my FOID and maybe also my Drivers License and email it to several retailers. Not all want the drivers License.

If I have any trouble receiving my Kibler kit, I'll let you know. Hoping it will be along soon.

I am in central Illinois, far from Cook county, and that's really why some ask for the drivers license, as a 2nd verification of that. Or so they have mentioned.
Thank you, keep me posted on that Kibler Kit! I ordered one but I’m a month and a week out still

Grafs shipped powder to me in January, other than the shipping delay from them being busy, the only requirement was proof of Foid and D.L. Keep in mind they require anadult signature, and it helps to pre-register your info as shipping can be delayed. Check your local laws as some far left cities may have further restrictions since it can be considered an explosive.

As far as black powder firearms go, any gun made after 1898 is considered a firearm and requires shipping to an FFL dealer. Pre-98 made firearms (obsolete cartridge too) do not require the FFL dealer. For example I can have a Pre-98 Danish Remington Rolling Block shipped to my door, but a Thompson Center Hawken or Renegade has to go to an FFL dealer (modern made). In my mind it shows the ignorance of the law makers allowing a firearm of similar ballistics to a 30-06 being shipped to your door, yet restricting a muzzleloader of classic design from be utilized by a historian or hunter. An argument that likely shouldn't be made in Springfield as it would result in only further restrictions.

Take this advise at your own risk...Nothing in the law about kits as the law doesn't designate what part of a muzzleloader is the firearm or the action. One can only assume the T/C barrel is the action as it has the serial number, but a custom kit typically doesn't have that luxury of a serial number.

So I bought a few pounds of 3f Swiss black powder from a dealer not to far away from my area in Illinois. I get home to find that the powder is in clumps like moisture got to it at one time... so do I break up the clumps and forget about it? Or is this detrimental to the powder? I bought the Swiss because I wanted the best and I’m a little disappointed TBH.

It is common for the powder to clump. Not sure that is caused by moisture. Shake the can, that should break up the clumps.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back