• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Pocket Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harris_304

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a good black powder pocket revolver
to shoot with my 1851 navy when the mood strikes me.

Anybody got any favorites or suggestions? Recently I've been
looking on guns america to get some idears.

I am also considering trading my compound bow (see classified)
for a black powder pistol.

:hmm:

I like the Baby Dragoon. It's light and compact. I let my
last one get away, but I've got my eyes on another one.
If you prefer a .36, then the pocket Navy is a good choice. A little more power and it uses the same ball as the '51 Navy.

I have an 1849 pocket model, the one that looks like the '51 Navy only a lot smaller. At least I think that model was also called a pocket model. Correct me if I err. Anyway, I used to carry it trapping. A 31 cal ball out of it was plenty to dispatch 'coons, foxes and even coyotes at ranges measured in feet. It's also the only black powder revolver I've owned that shot where you aimed it without dinking with the sights.

I like the idea of a 36 in a pocket model as you already have a Navy.

Vic

I have been entertaining the idea of a model 1862 .36 or a model 1860 .44 cal snubnose revolver. I have both a .36 cal Navy(brass frame), and a Uberti 2nd model dragoon; so although I like the looks of the little .31 cal., I'd like to stick with a caliber that I already have the next time.

I don't know how much of a hassle it would be to load the snubnose revolvers without loading levers, but the poket models both Colt and Remington and the snubnose Colts all look like they'd be fun to shoot. I think you'd do well with any of them.

To load a snubbie without an attached rammer, you just need a length of brass rod or even a piece of old hickory ramrod stock. As for the different sizes of balls required,
I used to worry about that, too. But once you've cast a few in each size, or bought them, it really isn't that big a deal. The reality is that you can easily carry everything you need in a regular shooting bag or the trunk of your car. Maybe if you're gonna be out on the trail for weeks on end and facing hundreds of hostiles.....

I don't have too much trouble with the two different calibers I'm shooting I'm just not sure about adding a third to the mix. Even when I take a rifle or two to the range along with the pistols it hasn't been a big deal. Maybe adding a .31 caliber wouldn't be so bad after all.

Maybe if you're gonna be out on the trail for weeks on end and facing hundreds of hostiles.....

I've found it best in that situation to try to avoid any shooting at all.

Adding that third caliber isn't much of a problem. And the baby Dragoon really is a pocket pistol. I used to carry mine when fishing or just walking in the woods. The pocket Navy Or pocket Police are just enough longer and heavier to be a problem--they probably are better carried in a shoulder
rig or a belt holster. In cold weather they might fit into a large coat pocket without difficulty.

The 1849 Colt Pocket Model in .31 caliber makes a sweet shooting little cap-n-ball revolver. This particular gun HAS got a loading lever attached under the barrel, so that eliminates needing a separate ramrod to load the gun.

At least with regard to the Uberti made gun, it has a solid feel and just looks great! Don't worry about having a "different caliber", especially when talking about getting a .31 revolver...

Depending on your chamber size; you may be able to use #0 Buck Shot (.320 diameter). This really beats the heck out of buying the swaged balls in the expensive 100 ct. packages.

A 5lb bag of Hornady #0 Buck Shot contains approximately 700 shots of 50gr balls for about $10.00 A single box of Hornady swaged round balls costs about $5.00 That's about 1.5 cents versus 5 cents a shot for the ball.

You would love this little gun... it's a lot of fun to shoot and feels like the "baby brother" to the '51 Navy.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I have an Uberti 1849 Pocket as well and love it. It is well made and feels great in hand. Points well and the felt recoil is like a 22 at most. I would not depend on it for self defense. I would not want to be shot by one but it's no powerhouse though. I have 44's and a 36 too and have no problem with having 3 different calibers.

I will try the 0 buck shot idea. Sounds like a good way to get more shooting in with the little guy.

Just be careful not to shoot the .31 cal. at anything hard, like a tree for instance, or you may get hit with the ball when it bounces back at you. First BP gun i ever owned was a little .31 cal Baby Dragoon. Nice little gun, but seriously lacking in the penetration department. ::

Rebel, I had the same thing happen with an 1860 Army in 44. It bounced off about a 6 inch hickory at 15 or so yards. Sure surprised me!!!!

Vic

Sharps, well at least with that '60 Army you can put some more powder in and get it not to do that. With the little .31 you could only get about 12-15 grs of powder in it if i recall. But it was a nice little gun.

Rebel, I had the same thing happen with an 1860 Army in 44. It bounced off about a 6 inch hickory at 15 or so yards. Sure surprised me!!!!

FYI, to all those who mentioned "bullets bouncing back" from hard targets. Even with a heavily loaded 1860 Army .44 loaded with 30gr of FFFg and a .451 diameter round ball-- things don't always turn out the way you expect them to.

DO NOT ever fire into an old TV picture tube. Now, you would think that a 140gr lead ball at 850fps would bust that glass and implode the tube. WRONG!It cracked the glass and I heard the ball whistle over my head. Of course, I could NOT leave well enough alone!!!. I went back inside and brought out the Walker and loaded a 60gr charge with round ball. This time the picture tube did shatter and implode, as I expected it to do the first time.

I have seen the .31, .36, and .44 cap-n-ball revolver loads fail with regard to penetration of, or performance on, "hard targets". For best performance on deer/game of similar ilk--you need to move up to the Colt Dragoons, the Walker, or a good solid .45 (or larger cal.) single shot, that can handle a 40gr charge or more. Some of the single shots can also handle big heavyweight conicals as well. Those are the pistols that you can depend on for "more reliable power".

The .31 makes a really nice plinker though... if the buck shot fits the gun, it is the most inexpensive cap-n-ball gun to shoot. And as far as some of those self defense comments go, I don't want shot with ANY size or caliber gun.

Shoot Wisely!
WV_Hillbilly

A .22 short fired from a 4 5/8 in. barrel Colt Frontier Scout into a tire sidewall from about four feet can also bounce back. And scare/surprise the Heck out of you. And leave a nice welt above your eye. Missed my glasses (eye) by about a half inch. Oh, did I mention it scared the Heck out of me.

Rebel....that was a max load....needless to say I haven't done it since.

I'd also have to agree with going to a bigger single shot that will take a stronger powder charge, but that's me.

Vic

Back