• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Linguistic Pet Peeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good information on "Boolits" and I understand why they do it but irritates me a bit to have to "Moider the King's English". Easy to just call them Minies, slugs, balls or projectiles to avoid playing that 'Boolits" spelling game. In my Whitworth I prefer the term "bolt", used for the hardened hex projectiles.

But, minis, slugs, balls etc can be store bought, or hand cast. Where if I refer to a hardened hex boolit it implies that I cast said projectile rather than buying it. Quick shorthand for an important distinction is how and why we add new words.

Playing with words is one of the most tiresome aspects of the easily amused ‘bring my childhood with me into adulthood’ modern life. Changing spelling and combining words into new ones forsooth. Making ‘black powder shooting’ into ‘blooting” or whatever. I’d rather shoot glitter out of my Smoothbore while wearing clown shoes and a giant foam sombrero at a thread counter’s rendezvous.

Boolits.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
As you have probably already observed - the bulk of us "yanks" don't give a flip about the King's version of "English"
Even the English don't use the King's English......... (Hint - there is no King (or Queen) of England. It's just a ceremonial title because the family has no power over anyone except the paid help.
I'm an "American" and below the Mason Dixon Line, both by the grace of God and just having fun with the "King's English" bit, I couldn't care less about royalty but touched a nerve. Like education, proper use of the language is never a detriment.

^^^ OK, I'll have to poot my foot down at that! 😖 😖 :ghostly:😸😀
ae5d319eb4fde50b.png

Last edited:
But, minis, slugs, balls etc can be store bought, or hand cast. Where if I refer to a hardened hex boolit it implies that I cast said projectile rather than buying it. Quick shorthand for an important distinction is how and why we add new words.
Or...trying to develop some alternative mistique?

Bullet casting is a part of my life and has been for 50 plus years but I will not post on that website because of boolit.
I’ve been a member of that site for years but don’t post anymore due to the elitist attitude by the majority of the people. They are so frustrated by answering the same questions over and over, that rather than not answering you get the snotty reply to “use the search function and read!” Here on this site, there are always those that will extend a hand even if they’ve answered it many times before. And if they’re not in the mood to answer that day, they just don’t answer. Hardly ever is the snotty attitude presented.
Walk

I’ve been a member of that site for years but don’t post anymore due to the elitist attitude by the majority of the people. They are so frustrated by answering the same questions over and over, that rather than not answering you get the snotty reply to “use the search function and read!” Here on this site, there are always those that will extend a hand even if they’ve answered it many times before. And if they’re not in the mood to answer that day, they just don’t answer. Hardly ever is the snotty attitude presented.
Walk

My experience exactly. I posted one time with a question. The responses I got were sickening, and I never went back. They can poosh their boolets where the sun never shines.

Pertaining to this Forum, the word "unmentionable" would be my pet peeve. The word is mentioned so often that perhaps just "modern arms" or "modern ammo" would make more sense?
Walk
I solved that problem over there by using the “ignore” function. Works on any forum.

Try being a Canadian Eh !!!!! and read AMERICAN Eh !!! heck, 1/2 our common words end in re instead of er
and we have the letter u in words for no particular reason!!! I have lived in VERMONT,IDAHO ,friends in eastern PENNSYLVANIA along with kin in North Carolina and central Florida...........like the ''language'' that passes for english in NEWFOUNDLAND far east Canada........all these areas have words heard no where else. Too much/ correctness these days.... the canadian french province,quebec,even have ''language police'' ..so be on guard folks !!

Boolits, bullets, correction pills, projectiles, heads, pointy bits. I don’t know how many words the OED adds or removes each year but the ‘English’ language evolves. Who knows, ‘boolits’ may well be added some day? It has been said that US and UK are ‘divided by a common language‘ you say tomaydo and I say tomarto🤪🤪🤪 There is joy in being different just as the good Lord intended. We get along and that’s what counts I think?

I really only use the word "Flinter" from time to time. Beyond that, I don't really use any ML-specific jargon that I'm aware of. As for other jargon, the only place where it bugs me is the Cowboy Action crowd that seems to call everyone "pard" and otherwise use a ton of fake cowboy language. Yes, I find it a little juvenile to shorten multiple other words by ending everything in "y" but it's not something I lose sleep over.

What has been annoying is the improper use of "I". When I was a kid in school, we got it drummed into us that people just used "me" in the wrong place - as in, "Jake and Me went to the lake" - all the time. It seems now that it's swung the other way, and people over use "I" - as in, "Dad gave Jake and I ten bucks for dinner." They're not friggin' interchangeable!!! That, and when I once had to tell a college class I was teaching that it was not acceptable to use texting short-hand when writing short-answer and essay responses on tests.

I do not see what this all has to do with Gun powder, black powder, or cap lock, flint lock or match lock fire arms. I do like that cast bullet site and think they take names a bit far. That was their game from the start getting the web site name they wanted. Can we get back to more important things like shooting classic fire arms?

Back