• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder, Is there a shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is both a supply chain issue and a stocking up issue, as one might expect, everyone walking around like we are trying to smile at folks with our eyes.....

I wonder if there'll be a day when reenactors reenact 2020 and the thread counters set around arguing about which mask isn't HC.... "There's no evidence anyone wore those over the ear straps on their masks!"
No Doubt. 👍

Americans have a history of non compliance on unpopular law, Prohibition comes to mind. Her plan is a dangerous crackpipe dream, totally unenforceable and laughed at by the bad guys. Do they really think everyone will comply? Seems to me that if politicians are now that afraid of the American people bucking the injustices forced on us they know the only way to control us is to disarm us. You can't force an armed citizenry to kneel before you...........

Question ! why is it that we can not stay on what the subject of a forum question. :dunno:
That reminds me of one time when I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Seriously though, the crazy political stuff we are seeing is the reason there is at least a percieved, if not actual shortage. Sadly, it is on topic. People are scared, and for good reason.

Mike Eder, of Indiana (Flintlocks inc) and Mike Lea of Columbus, OH (The Gun Doctor) both carry the English and the french flints. Deer-creek still has powder. I just picked some up.. no issues and no extraordinary up charges
NMLRA during business hours will have powder too.

By federal law, you are allowed to have and transport up to 50# without licensing and without a magazine. State laws vary with California being the most idiotic.

Research the proposed house bill that is getting ready to hit the floor, On gun registration, and yes our prized muzzle loaders are on the hit list, I forget the name of the woman congress person who drafted the proposal but she makes Dian Fienstein look like Mr. Rogers and the California A22 Ho22s look like its a wonderful day in the neighborhood, that will answer your question. This has been discussed on the site many times and will be shut down bye Zonie but we need to be aware the ramifications that have a good chance of happening. As I said prior some panic buying some hoarding but the manufactures are selling off their supplies and not producing items for the shooting sports. If you can find it buy it.
Sheila Jackson Lee and her bill is H.R. 127. It is gun control on steroids and applies to antique firearms.

Last edited:
There are many things about the current house bill HR 127 that are of interest to us and ML'ers, but my OP was only enquiring about current supplies and availabilities, and related pricing. (Zonie's gave me direct counsel asking me to not bring it up except in the Premium Members section under the 2A discussions.) While HR 127 MAY be a big part of the reason supplies are scarce, there could be other factors involved, like seasonality. Outdoor shooting goes down in the first quarter of the year quite a bit in northern climes, and the rather rag-tag way in which small shops manage their inventories means shops don't always keep deep inventories, particularly on slow selling items. "When it sells out, we order more" is a typical management methodology.

And traditional credit lines for gun shops' inventories has gotten tighter. The special handling for BP storage the ATF requires makes it harder for them to keep the amount on the premises that they do with smokeless too. The big guys like Grafs, Jack's Powder Keg, Powder Inc., (plus others) are another matter entirely. They probably literally normally have tons on hand.

That said, there are many ways to affect businesses, but short of directly outlawing their product, starving them of the financial resources they need will get the job done just as efficiently. Probably more so, because it isn't the lightning rod for public outcry that a direct assault on the product is.

Last edited:
If you have noticed there has been a steady decline in these type of items over the past year, perhaps covid impact perhaps off season demand (do not think that is going on) perhaps demand (somewhat) perhaps hoarding, in my opinion none of these. I stand bye my previous comments about depleted manufacturing due to the current climate. The manufactures do not want to be stuck, the retailers do not want to be stuck with a inventory that cannot be sold, therefore the ultimate end is no fixings for any weapon the weapon is now useless, end goal accomplished.

These idiotic Bills have a slim chance. Whoever in Congress supports these will have
to survive their next election. Black folks are not in favor of gun controls like these.
A small number only. Polls like the news are fake. Ok be prepared, but do not panic.
You can give Americans stuff--but try taking stuff away! That ain't easy. Thousands
of lawsuits later and politicians voted out--then it all ends. Prepare but rest easy.

You can make just about anything but it might not be wise or safe. For about
$16. a pound you can buy a house brand of quality black powder. When you
make it you cannot easily add certain ingredients that resist making static
discharges that can set off the powder. Using a ball mill to get the proper
granulation is also risky. The formulas are everywhere but this is not a project
for the home workshop. There will be better availability soon. For $100 bucks
you can get four pounds of quality BP plus pay hazmat and shipping.

You can make just about anything but it might not be wise or safe. For about
$16. a pound you can buy a house brand of quality black powder. When you
make it you cannot easily add certain ingredients that resist making static
discharges that can set off the powder. Using a ball mill to get the proper
granulation is also risky. The formulas are everywhere but this is not a project
for the home workshop. There will be better availability soon. For $100 bucks
you can get four pounds of quality BP plus pay hazmat and shipping.
This is all very true but it is a good idea for people to know how to make it just in case

I know I am making more smoke lately and I have bought more BP supplies in the last 6 months than I had ever bought combined. I think there are many folks doing the same.
And we wonder why the shelves are bare???? Seems to me we have a "self-induced" problem, it's called HOARDING!! Read a post here the other day where a guy said he has acquired 5000 caps, but can't seem to find anymore. Really!

Indeed, now that the wildfire has swept through the unmentionables it has spread to muzzleloaders/black powder. I expect archery (modern, traditional, and crossbows) to be next, though it doesn't seem too hard hit yet. You'll know the excrement has really hit the oscillator when slingshots and steel bearings are out of stock everywhere... :oops: 😄
In China and possibly in California, people who strongly disagree with what is correct and proper are having natural teeth replaced by dentures because of the social threat strong teeth can pose..

Back