• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder, Is there a shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have gotten a message that some suppliers have Goex back in stock. From this I am assuming that it will be available in most places. 10 lb minimum.

Well, this thread is now 16 posts shorter than it was a few minutes ago. Yes, 16 posts that were totally off track and didn't have a thing to do with the subject which for those who didn't notice is, "Black Powder. Is there a shortage?"

Let's see if we can stay on track now. :)

I ordered some powder from Graf a couple of months ago, and I was surprised they had any even then.

I can't believe there are still people slumbering through all that is going on and now wonder "what's going on? Why can't I find ammo???"
There is an alarming number of people out there that pay little or no attention to what’s going on on the larger world around them.

There is no shortage just greedy Chicken Little's THE SKY IS FALLING hoarders.
You could not be more wrong.
Besides, if there is no shortage, where do you think it is being stored?
Is it a good business model to not fill orders when they have plenty of product on hand?

I do not trust the videos you mentioned, perhaps the manufacture's are attempting to cover their business from both ends of the spectrum. There is a old saying only believe half of what you hear and none of what you see. As you stated POLITICS.
I think you have it backwards.

Forty_Caliber and BLACK POWDER offer top answers. Everyone gave great answers. General consensus is to do
your best to be prepared for whatever happens. Shutzen is the Old Wano brand from Germany
and is excellent power to run with. New Jersey is another trip. My sister married a guy from
New Jersey and about 30 years ago I left an old antique pistol with her to keep as I was going back
to visit in Saltillo Mexico where I spent my youth. She called me while I was on the road forcing
me back to take the gun or it would be thrown out. This all because New Jersey was so vague
and a cop family friend said the gun needed a permit. New Jersey must be the number one
2nd Amendment violator in America.
This is the New Normal.

I also got the E-MAIL from them. information to be forth comming.

There are stories of people using powder to season food in emergencies, such as Napoleon’s soldiers sprinkling it on horse meat to give it some flavor,

I’ve tasted real black powder and it’s sort of salty. Not bad, and reminds me of the potassium-based sodium free table salt substitutes.

That is exactly how I would describe the taste of black powder. Just like the fake salt

Not sure about shortage. I just received my order of black powder from Grafs. I was able to get their own brand of powder along with Goex and Olde Eynsford. I wanted to try their own brand that is actually made by Goex. Grafs brand is $18 per pound and Goex was $22 and Olde Eynsford was $24 per pound. At the time of my order they had 1f, 2f,3f and 4f in stock.

The gun & ammo market is now like Wall Street. The two things that affect it are fear & greed and we have both at work right now. A local distributor I know talks to Hornady regularly & they are cranking out 7 million bullets a day & can't keep up. Panic buying has swept the country. Profiteering & hoarding are rampant. So, a shortage has been "created" by the very people that use the stuff. Makes my head spin just thinking about it. I was able to find plenty of powder & caps recently, but for some reason round ball is scarce right now. I did see where Midway said their shipment of lead balls was "overdue". I do see signs of this madness easing up, at least where I live.

Ammunition manufacturers are churning out lots of cartridges, running 3 shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend said he paid $27 for a box of caps. I’m knapping flints out of creek bed pickup flint in my spare time.

I guess I have to step in here and mention, discussion of politics and the Second Amendment are not allowed in the general areas of the forum.

If you want to get into discussions about those things you must be a paying member and do the talking in the Premium Member section of the forum.

Back