• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder, Is there a shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I only buy powder and supplies every so often and shoot things other than ML'ers from time to time. I've just noticed that unmentionable powder and primers are very hard to come by, and prices are going nuts. Has that bled its' way over in to the availability of real BP? I have about 4-5 pounds worth which is a 5 year supply for me, plus 2-3 pounds of substitute if I want to shoot a cap gun (pretty rare). Just wondering if real BP has gotten affected, or if pricing has changed. The last time I bought was about 5 years ago.

Yes. It has gone out of stock from some purveyors and restocking has been hit or miss. It is still out there though unlike the nitrocellulose stuff.

I looked at Graf's site. They are sold out of FFg and FFFg powder. It seems the panic buying has affected the black powder side of the shooting sport.
Like you, I have a enough bp to last for quite a while. Because of the China flu, my local shooting range has severe restrictions (masks and vinyl gloves) being imposed by my stupid governor. So, I have not been shooting any type of firearm since all of this nonsense started.

Indeed, now that the wildfire has swept through the unmentionables it has spread to muzzleloaders/black powder. I expect archery (modern, traditional, and crossbows) to be next, though it doesn't seem too hard hit yet. You'll know the excrement has really hit the oscillator when slingshots and steel bearings are out of stock everywhere... :oops: 😄

I ordered and received 2F and 3F from MidwayUSA the other day. It is now showing out of stock again. When it does pop up, it goes quickly.

Simple case of hedging bets. Scenarios:

1. Centerfire ammo shortage, re-loaders can't get primers reliably = New buyers.
  2. Gun grabbing commies will come after muzzleloaders last if at all. = New buyers.
  3. Old guys remembering the golden shores of long ago during a time of upheaval. = New buyers.
New buyers in a marketplace that is the tiniest of a tiny fraction of the larger firearm industry.

Last edited:
Real black powder is not in high demand except in the circle of folks like those that post on here. I would think that if there was panic induced legislation there would be talk about it on here.

I think the big issue is that with ammunition and primers being so hard to get that folks either do not have them or do not want to burn up their stash so they are shooting more muzzle loaders. I know I am making more smoke lately and I have bought more BP supplies in the last 6 months than I had ever bought combined. I think there are many folks doing the same.

There is both a supply chain issue and a stocking up issue, as one might expect, everyone walking around like we are trying to smile at folks with our eyes.....

I wonder if there'll be a day when reenactors reenact 2020 and the thread counters set around arguing about which mask isn't HC.... "There's no evidence anyone wore those over the ear straps on their masks!"

Research the proposed house bill that is getting ready to hit the floor, On gun registration, and yes our prized muzzle loaders are on the hit list, I forget the name of the woman congress person who drafted the proposal but she makes Dian Fienstein look like Mr. Rogers and the California A22 Ho22s look like its a wonderful day in the neighborhood, that will answer your question. This has been discussed on the site many times and will be shut down bye Zonie but we need to be aware the ramifications that have a good chance of happening. As I said prior some panic buying some hoarding but the manufactures are selling off their supplies and not producing items for the shooting sports. If you can find it buy it.

I managed to acquire (enroute) 10 lbs of schuthuenz mixed 1-3f and 400 caps in the last week. I was told at one vendor on thursday they had PLENTY of 10-11 caps so I waited for my allowance and Friday they had one of each left!

I Schuetszen any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, now that the wildfire has swept through the unmentionables it has spread to muzzleloaders/black powder. I expect archery (modern, traditional, and crossbows) to be next, though it doesn't seem too hard hit yet. You'll know the excrement has really hit the oscillator when slingshots and steel bearings are out of stock everywhere... :oops: 😄
I'm selling straws and spit wads for the low, low price of $100............ :cool:

I managed to acquire (enroute) 10 lbs of schuthuenz mixed 1-3f and 400 caps in the last week. I was told at one vendor on thursday they had PLENTY of 10-11 caps so I waited for my allowance and Friday they had one of each left!

I Schuetszen any good?
I don't know, do you schutzen any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices going up every day, stock drying up every day. That's why I re-load all my un-mentionables and have a adequate supply of BP and those other ones to include the needed supply to keep me shooting and hunting a long time.

Track is also out of many sizes of flints.

Who exactly is around knapping them? I worry about the supply of flints actually.

If powder and other things for traditional black powder are being snapped up then GOOD.

It will hopefully show the makers people still want it and are willing to buy it as well as wanting it in addition to being liable to purchase it for want of wanting it to buy.

Back