• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black powder horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunky15420

32 Cal
Reaction score
I found this amongst brother's items at his estate sale. I've gotten many reactions from it being ivory to being a cattle horn. I'm interested in knowing exactly what it is (I'm assuming the 68 on it is 1968) and the initials are KK, DSCN1857 3.jpegDSCN1863 3.jpegand from what some have told me, it probably isn't ivory. It looks hand done, and I'm inquisitive in finding out where he got this and who may have made it? Also the value has been said to be from $20 to $200. I'm getting really confused here, as I'm just learning about these things! Maybe someone here can help?
DSCN1857 3.jpeg
DSCN1857 3.jpeg
DSCN1863 3.jpeg
DSCN1857 3.jpeg

If it was made in 1968, it probably wasn't ivory. I wish I knew a way to tell; it's not very heavy. The whole thing weighs under 3 ounces.

I found this amongst brother's items at his estate sale. I've gotten many reactions from it being ivory to being a cattle horn. I'm interested in knowing exactly what it is (I'm assuming the 68 on it is 1968) and the initials are KK, View attachment 59842View attachment 59843and from what some have told me, it probably isn't ivory. It looks hand done, and I'm inquisitive in finding out where he got this and who may have made it? Also the value has been said to be from $20 to $200. I'm getting really confused here, as I'm just learning about these things! Maybe someone here can help? View attachment 59842View attachment 59842View attachment 59843View attachment 59842
Nice powder horn. It looks contemporary to me. You might try looking on the contemporary makers blog; somebody there might know who the maker is by the initials.

Some ivory is differently big enough to made a horn with but yours isn't ivory. Reason being ivory has growth rings like a tree and if it were shaped like that it would have a pattern similar to wood.
Yours has straight lines running from front to back and that's the way horns grow.

Why would anyone think it is ivory? From the pictures it appears to be a powder horn and very nicely done at that. I hope you find its history.
Robin

Looks like a well made powder horn from a cow horn to me. Scrimshaw techniques have been applied to cow horn for hundreds of years to tell stories, identify the owner, create maps, etc. Soldiers and outdoorsmen sat around and scratched designs into the horn and then rubbed dirt or ink into the etchings to make them stand out. Is the marking with initials and date the “maker’s Mark?” There are some forums online with Master Horners and they could provide more information. It’s an interesting piece. I wouldn’t sell it, but you could get more than $100 with the right buyer.

Back