• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder fouling in 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would scrub out the barrel with flitz or some other compound. Polished barrels shoot the best, and clean the best. One of my all time favorite barrels was a Rice. It was like a mirror. Easy to load, easy to clean.
I put a barely damp patch between loads, and I can shoot all day.

So, I was intrigued by SDSmlf's comment so I decided to try an experiment.

It was way to wet at the range to drive back to the shooting line across the grass and if I left ruts I would feel obligated to fix them so I left the chronographs and walked back to the line carrying just what I needed to shoot.

My standard load in my 32 is 37 grains and I shot 5 shots off the bench using a spit patch and then loaded shot number 6 and set the gun aside.
Shot my Chambers Virginia rifle for awhile, probably 45 minutes or so, got the 32 back on the bench and shot number 6 went in the same group.

I use a spit patch and never wipe between shots, now..... I would not leave it loaded with a spit patch for more than say 48 hours, not because I thought it would dry out, because I would worry about a rust ring starting in the barrel.

If I were going to load for an indefinite amount of time I would use sheep tallow or pure mink oil cause that Is what I have

I have a 54 caliber and need to swab the barrel between every shot. Most of the time it takes 2 cleaning patches. I am using 80 grains of GOEX 2F with .530 round ball and 0.018 lubed ticking patch. The time that I did not swap the barrel the ball got stuck about 5 inches in and I had to use a ball puller to get it out. One of the guys at the range yesterday told me that Swiss 2F does not foul the barrel at all ?

What are you using on the bore after cleaning it?

Lose the greasy lube, unless you will be leaving the gun loaded for a long time (hunting??) Otherwise a water-based lube cleans the barrel with every re-load. The only times I have encountered fouling that far up the barrel was when shooting blank charges Unless there is a really rough spot at that point, I don't know why you are getting that. Maybe stick a bore scope down there and take a good look.

How about over 200 shots a day without wiping? The right size patch and ball with Young Country lube. The new liquid lubes should be good also.
Clusters like above at 50 yards.

Back