• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Finally Arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Buffalo Arms received a large amount of black powder a few weeks ago and I jumped at the chance to buy some since Powder Inc. was totally out of stock. They may have some now. I have never ordered powder from Buffalo Arms but I have bought a lot of other items from them for several years. Nice people. I placed my order online and it went through ok. I got a confirmation but no ship date. Finally after about 2 weeks it showed that the order was filled. Again no shipping information. I called and a very nice lady answered. She told me they are overwhelmed with orders for powder and other items. They are very understaffed because they can't find people to work. She told me she was shipping my order out that day. True to her word I got a FedEx email saying my order had left Idaho and headed to Troutdale, OR. Then I got another email that my powder had left Troutdale and was in transit and estimated delivery of Saturday Dec. 4th. A day later I get an update saying it is delayed with an exclamation mark. This got me worried because I have had problems of this type before from FedEX before. I could not get any help from FedEx as to why the shipment was held up. It was out of Buffalo Arms hands so they couldn't do anything except track it like I was doing. Tracking should no movement since Saturday. Yesterday it showed that it arrived in the Dallas area but still showed delayed. Then it showed it arrived overnight in Waco still showing a delay. Finally late this afternoon it arrived. FedEx is the worst. I know some don't like UPS but they do a good job for us unfortunately they won't handle black powder.

Well, enough said. I am happy that the powder arrived and hopefully when I need more, there won't be such a shortage.

yeah the last three packages i had delivered by FedEx tracked within earshot of my front door only to have them ship it to Indiana, and took an additional 2 days to get back on track.

Good news is Scheutzen /Wano is coming to the rescue with decent powder in
quantity. Fed Ex varies--check your tracking often and be waiting at your gate or
drive when they show up or else--someone else will get it.

I ordered some caps from Buffalo Arms a few weeks ago. They filled and shipped the order within a few days. The shipping with FedEx was fine until the package made it to Florida where inexplicably sat in Orlando for a few days before they finally moved it again and finally delivered it. I imagine it had something to do with the "dangerous" material being transported, but annoying to know the package is only a couple hours away and just sitting there. Happy to deal with Buffalo Arms again, but it's unfortunate they ship with FedEx.

If you’ll notice powder ships Fed-Ex Ground which has a completely different service model and transit times then FedEx Express.
Packages are often routed to different FedEx Ground hubs. Especially since powder requires an adult signature as it’s a “Hazardous Material” shipment. As far as I know FedEx Ground is the only carrier that will move black powder.

Also for other service failures Fed-Ex and UPS use the post office called FedEx smart post and UPS sure post. They zone-skip and inject their mail size packages to the USPS to deliver the final mile. it’s supposed to save time but mostly just saves them money and adds days to deliver.

Interesting stories here. I placed my first ever order with Buffalo Arms about 2 months ago. My order shipped within 3 days and was delivered in less than a week.
The luck of the draw I guess.

Yes my powder from Buffalo Arms ordered in mid November just shipped to Louisiana yesterday. Had called them a week ago and very nice man advised that they were shipping the maximum amount of powder that FedEx would allow per day and were running behind on orders, but it was going to come.

My order placed 11/18 shipped on 12/2. I'm ok with that because everyone is short-handed and swamped with orders, but FedEx gave me the usual anxiety attacks. Order was delivered today as per revised notification and they didn't have me sign just dropped it off.

Shipping has really gotten weird the last two years. I have had shipments shipped all over up to three weeks before being delivered, while packages sent the same day arrived in two days. Right now I am waiting for an order that was shipped on Nov 27 and has been to California, Indiana, Pittsburg and is still "in route" Who knows when it will reach Ohio to stay instead of just passing through.

My order last month from Powder Inc was shipped with a UPS tracking number and arrived in a UPS truck. Not sure where poster got information UPS will not ship black powder?

I used Graf's "Notify me when back in stock" feature for some Swiss FFg months ago, forgot about it. Got notified a couple weeks ago it was back in stock, ordered right away, and Fedex brought it 3 days later.

Buffalo Arms received a large amount of black powder a few weeks ago and I jumped at the chance to buy some since Powder Inc. was totally out of stock. They may have some now. I have never ordered powder from Buffalo Arms but I have bought a lot of other items from them for several years. Nice people. I placed my order online and it went through ok. I got a confirmation but no ship date. Finally after about 2 weeks it showed that the order was filled. Again no shipping information. I called and a very nice lady answered. She told me they are overwhelmed with orders for powder and other items. They are very understaffed because they can't find people to work. She told me she was shipping my order out that day. True to her word I got a FedEx email saying my order had left Idaho and headed to Troutdale, OR. Then I got another email that my powder had left Troutdale and was in transit and estimated delivery of Saturday Dec. 4th. A day later I get an update saying it is delayed with an exclamation mark. This got me worried because I have had problems of this type before from FedEX before. I could not get any help from FedEx as to why the shipment was held up. It was out of Buffalo Arms hands so they couldn't do anything except track it like I was doing. Tracking should no movement since Saturday. Yesterday it showed that it arrived in the Dallas area but still showed delayed. Then it showed it arrived overnight in Waco still showing a delay. Finally late this afternoon it arrived. FedEx is the worst. I know some don't like UPS but they do a good job for us unfortunately they won't handle black powder.

Well, enough said. I am happy that the powder arrived and hopefully when I need more, there won't be such a shortage.
Good! After the "Hillary Scare" and the recent "covid-Biden-rioting" scare, everyone should have enough caps, powder, components to last for 3 years at least; same for modern ammo; I hate when even myself becomes "panicked" over shortages of stuff; remember the Great Toilet Paper Scare"?

My order last month from Powder Inc was shipped with a UPS tracking number and arrived in a UPS truck. Not sure where poster got information UPS will not ship black powder?
Coming from Powder Inc I'm going to guess that UPS thought it was smokeless and didn't realize it was black powder. Unless you're talking about getting a shipment of regular powder from Powder Inc instead.

Ordered musket caps from Texas, got a notice it would be three days early. Was two hours away... then went to Mississippi and stayed there for four days before returning to PA. And was four days late. This too was from Fed Ex.

Latest posts

Back