• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder drilling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't simply guess with a gun like that. I suspect it's worth enough that you would want to get a formal appraisal, and I'm sure there are others here that can help you with the process, and/or maybe suggest someone in your area.

Keep it...

E

It took real skill to make that gun; you'd think that anyone who could make a gun like this would sign it.
The styling of the butt has a New York Statish look to it, but who knows?
I wonder if the gun was made by starting with an existing pair of shotgun barrels.
Sale value? Really hard to say. Insurance value? How to get a comparable replacement?
If I were walking along the tables at a gunshow, and the gun were lying on a table with a tag under a grand, I would come to a screeching halt.

I don't know where you are located, but maybe see if you can find a museum that has antique firearms, and see if they'll value it for you.

No offense taken. We've been in contact with 'em in Germany and they can't find info on it either. The casing size is also odd. Not made anymore. The combo has been checked by "those in the know" and they can't explain it either. Maybe I should re-check the combo.. :redface:

Can anyone tell we where in my area to get a formal appraisal done on my drilling? (Michigan)

If it was just a double barreled shotgun in that good shape it would be worth $400 to $800. So I would guess you are looking at least $1K.

I'll give you $250 for it :grin:

Many Klatch

Seeing you're in Grand Haven, you ever heard of "Felix"? Of "Felix's Bayou"? If he's still around, it would be a start. Other than that, I'm not sure. He would at least point you in the right direction.

PS-I live in Allendale, just a couple miles away... too bad the North Ottawa M/L shoot was cancelled :cursing:

That is a very nice drilling Dyemaker photo link is very similar Ha! makes me want one dang it!

tac said:
ericb said:
K-Dog - It's not for me to say, and forgive me if I'm being overly forward, but given the Family History & Ties to the Piece, I would keep it. You can always get some 'Nam stuff, even as the price goes up, but years from now, when you wish you would've kept Dad's old ML Drilling, it's quite likely no amount of money will get it back for you, or even find it.

Eric

ps - it is really a unique and nice piece, and worth having in it's own right.

+1

tac

I agree, there would be no way on earth that would leave my locker.

Nam stuff is popular right now so the prices are up. In 30 years the Nam stuff will not be of as much value because most of the guys that it has meaning for (and I mean no disrespect here at all for those who were there. In fact I have the greatest respect for them) will be passing and... well.... But a classic is a classic and it will always be. Also, since it has meaning, family linage, the next generation will want to cherish it.

But it is up to you. You might also ask over at traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation there are a lot of builders as well as collectors over there. Very helpful guys.

Three barreled guns, some combination of rifle & shotgun, or rifle only, were popular in Michigan and New York, probably elsewhere. Yours is typical, except the underhammer is a bit more sophisticated than I've seen. My own three-barrel is two .38 cal rifle barrels over 14 ga shotgun. Not surprizing if some think it looks like New York, as a large % of our Michigan makers did come from New York. There were a number of skilled gunmakers in Grand Rapids mid-19th century. That underhammer arrangement is a bit unusual and might help someone with Michigan/New York gun knowledge identify it. Me, I just came out with 2nd edition of Michigan Gunsmiths, 230 pages with about 900 names of men involved in the firearms trade here. However, the only way I personally would know if it were a Michigan gun is if somewhere on the barrel it says "MICH"
Finally, I would not call it a Drilling, which is German for, essentially, a "three-ling" These are popular cartridge guns in Germany but I think it misleads people to call this three-barrel American gun by a German name.

Back