• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder drilling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De Feyter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a drilling-two shotgun on the top with a rifle
on the bottom. I would say the bottom is about a 30 cal and the top two are about a 12ga.
The third hammer pulls down from the bottom of the gun for the rifle.
It has been handed down through the family and was always told that it was carried by one of the men that surveyed for the city of Grand Rapids.
I can find no markings on it at all.
Can anyone help me id this gun more. I will try and send pics.
Thank you,
Craig

kodadog said:
I have a drilling-two shotgun on the top with a rifle
on the bottom. I would say the bottom is about a 30 cal and the top two are about a 12ga.
The third hammer pulls down from the bottom of the gun for the rifle.
It has been handed down through the family and was always told that it was carried by one of the men that surveyed for the city of Grand Rapids.
I can find no markings on it at all.
Can anyone help me id this gun more. I will try and send pics.
Thank you,
Craig

Welcome!

And, as you've probably guessed by now, without pics we can do nothing for you except say 'gee whiz'! :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!

tac

PS - If it is German or Belgian it will be slathered with marks. Have you taken the barrels off to see?

Mike Brooks said:
Cartridge gun? It's probably english, belgian or german...gotta have pics.

Mr Brooks - respectfully - the English did not and still do not make drillings.

That's a furrin thang.

tac

I once owned a Ed Kettner German dilling 16 gauge over 9.3x72R, blackpowder cartridge gun with exposed hammers but from your description it sounds like a muzzleloader. Probably hand made one of a kind, identifying the maker would be difficult but we'd all like to see photos.

I saw a Muzzleloader drilling at the Allentown (Pa) Gun Show about 30 yrs ago. Standard two shotgun barrels with rifle beneath, but the rifle barrel was a sort of underhammer thing. Wish I could remember more about it. The trigger guard was very heavy and fastened directly to underside of the breech blocks I suppose for added support.

I have seen photos of SxS shotguns with two percussion hammers on top and an underhammer ignition rifle barrel on bottom before a couple were drillings so it wouldn't be one of a kind.

Not anything but a real muzzel loader--does not break open for a shell.
Powder is put down the muzzel/patch / ball or shot then ramed home with eather of the wooden rods.
I will send pics as soon as I can.
Craig

I don't feel like I should take it apart.I don't want to chance breaking something.
No markings any place on the outside.
Craig

Okay, here's the photos. :grin:

Feb2011011.jpg

Feb2011016.jpg

Feb2011023.jpg

Feb2011020.jpg

Feb2011022.jpg

Feb2011021.jpg

Feb2011017.jpg

Feb2011024.jpg

Feb2011018.jpg

Feb2011019.jpg

Feb2011012.jpg

Feb2011013.jpg

Feb2011015.jpg

Feb2011014.jpg

I have no clue who made it but I like the underhammer. The ring looks better than a regular hammer would.

Looks like an American-made percussion drilling, with regular back-action locks for the smoothbores & an underhammer action for the rifled barrel, probably dates to the 1840-50s. I've never seen one before, but have seen a number of American-made percussion combination guns (1x smooth, 1x rifled). That would also explain the lack of proof marks, which would be seen on any european gun of the period.
Out of curiosity, which trigger operates the underhammer?

I do not see any markings any place on the gun.
I do have to tell you that a few years ago I took it to a gun show. A man that was set up with a few powder guns looked it over and offered me $150.00 becuase he said it was a newer kit gun.
I told him that I am 64 years old and that my Dad had it before I was born--I just got that (look) from him.

Latest posts

Back