• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black powder container

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linehand

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi there folks, want some experienced input. I bought bulk powder in a sealed bag, and it does not store well in my storage container. I have some empty goex cans but not enough, so I wondered why I couldn’t use a empty and clean aluminum beer bottle with screw top. I can remember goes in tin/steel cans, just wonder if I was missing something about aluminum and black powder. Thank you for your input. Linehand

I keep old metal powder cans to store powder in when bought in bulk. You can buy unlabeled cans from ULINE also that are reasonably priced.

Hi there folks, want some experienced input. I bought bulk powder in a sealed bag, and it does not store well in my storage container. I have some empty goex cans but not enough, so I wondered why I couldn’t use a empty and clean aluminum beer bottle with screw top. I can remember goes in tin/steel cans, just wonder if I was missing something about aluminum and black powder. Thank you for your input. Linehand
I guess to be nosy, where did you find bulk in a bag? Always wanted to find some. Seems everywhere I have shopped, 1 pound cans.....oh, just asking for a friend!!!

I have stored five-pound bags of black powder in an unused .50 calibre GI ammo can until I could transfer the powder to one-pound cans.
This is what I do…

My uncle goes down to the Sherwin Williams Paints store and gets a couple 1/2 gallon empty paint cans. Perfect for storing powder…

Thanks for all the ideals. I got bulk at friendship IN shoot as a member. I may have enough empty powder containers, but was having a cold one and trying to figure out a use for them cool cans. Again thank you all.

Thanks for all the ideals. I got bulk at friendship IN shoot as a member. I may have enough empty powder containers, but was having a cold one and trying to figure out a use for them cool cans. Again thank you all.
Huh, missed the bulk buy at friendship. Will have to see about it this fall shoot.

One thing you have to watch out for on the tin cans is, they acid solder the seam inside and out and the seam tends to sweat rust over time, whether they are used or not, probably didn't clean the acid off. I still have a ton of the same cans in 1/2 pint (8 oz.), back from when I used to package harness oil for sale. I bought these cans from Uline back about 2001, and I checked the cases they were packed in, and every one has slight rust along the seam. All are stored in a climate controlled area. They come packed with no cap and the caps are bagged separately. I use a couple in my range box, as that way I can carry several packaged with different grains.
IMG_20211119_142133_699.jpg

if one is trying to stay young like me, cough , cough, there is usually an abundance of vitamin bottles available. my wife is a Scot so the vitamins are bought in the big bottles, the same size as one pound powder bottles. and they are tinted.
have one whole shelf of them in the repurposed refrigerator i use for a powder locker.

if you want to treat the inside of those when you get them, buy a half pint of lacquer, pour it into the can and swish it about. then the next one, and so on until they are all done. effective.
I used to work in electronics as a tech…and I was thinking of a mixture of acetone and rubbing alcohol to wash out each container and clean off the back…

Back