• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Powder clean up ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a few years ago and the price was modest. It was the older formulation which has been changed since then. There are actually two products. One is marked BP cleaning solvent the other is BP cleaner & patch lube. Either seems to work just fine in my gun. The one marked "lube" is a tad thicker than the other marked "cleaner".
PICT0593-1.jpg

I did a few years ago and the price was modest. It was the older formulation which has been changed since then. There are actually two products. One is marked BP cleaning solvent the other is BP cleaner & patch lube. Either seems to work just fine in my gun. The one marked "lube" is a tad thicker than the other marked "cleaner".
PICT0593-1.jpg
When that can is empty, can I have it??

It looks like they dropped calling it Plus.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014737939
I have a bottle, if someone pays the shipping, they can have it. AB SO LOOTLEE worthless!
Actually it is an 8 ounce bottle and their is about 1/4 gone. I kept trying to use it, just worthless. And I am a Hoppes fan boy!
Am just going to chuck it.

I am use to shooting blackhorn 209 in a 209 rifle

I am going out to shoot the Hawken 50 for the first time this weekend

I will be using black powder not a substitute and #11 caps. Round ball.

What should I clean the barrel with and how often. I am use to running a couple cleaning patches between shots on the 209 rifle

all help is appreciated
70% Isopropyl alcohol followed with a good oil after the alcohol has evaporated is simple and has worked for me for years.
Keep the alcohol off the stock wood. Over time, it will fade the finish.
Don’t forget to wipe down the ramrod.

Last edited:
I wish I still had it. It didn't follow me up when we moved and I think it even still had a little lube in it. Haven't seen one like it since.

Do you clean guns for a living? I can see your business card now...........................Have Hoppe's...... Will Clean

I wish I still had it. It didn't follow me up when we moved and I think it even still had a little lube in it. Haven't seen one like it since.
I had to look at the picture again, I thought at first that tear on the label was a bullethole.

The real question is do you want to split hairs? There are a hundred ways to do it, and all the debate over which one is best is where the hair splitting begins.

Hot soapy water, bore brush, patches, and a boiling rinse, for me. Followed by a little lubricant to protect the metal.

I will also use storebought blackpowder solvents from time to time when I'm miles from the bathtub with a crudded up barrel (i.e. halfway through 49 balls on a hot sunny afternoon at the range). Everything serves a purpose.

I have a bottle, if someone pays the shipping, they can have it. AB SO LOOTLEE worthless!
Actually it is an 8 ounce bottle and their is about 1/4 gone. I kept trying to use it, just worthless. And I am a Hoppes fan boy!
Am just going to chuck it.
Part number is the same but the new seems like TC13 Not too bad as a cleaner but sucks as a lube burns the patches. I think they bought the rights to TC 13 and added everso slight amount of the old formula for the smell. Their new container sucks too. There is a phone number on the containers call them and let them know how you feel. The decision to change was probably made by some idiot at the top that never shot a muzzleloader and made the decision to change the formula on a profit increase.

Latest posts

Back