• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder cap and ball pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WonderWads here in UK cost 15c EACH. On the average guest day we go through around a hundred shots with my ROA...apart from the cost of the powder I freely spend [guests are GUESTS], that would be another $15....gimme a break. :eek:

Buy a punch, get some felt or cardboard, and make and lube your own wads. I refuse to pay the prices suppliers get for them.

wouldn't hesitate to carry an 1860 colt with a "sheriff" barrel. all six loaded and the pin between the cylinders ... proper fitting caps and corn meal above the powder... yo'll get about the same terminal ballistics as a .44 special loaded heavy, which is more than enough to solve two legged problems
what holds the corn meal in the cylinder?

WonderWads here in UK cost 15c EACH. On the average guest day we go through around a hundred shots with my ROA...apart from the cost of the powder I freely spend [guests are GUESTS], that would be another $15....gimme a break. :eek:
I used 1/8” thick hard felt from a company called Duro-Felt. If similar material is available and reasonably priced in the U.K. it might be worth considering. Forget the exact cost per wad at the moment, but using the Duro-Felt product believe it was under a $0.01 each. Only other investments are a set of punches, a mallet, a block of wood and bit of time. I can punch out a 100 wads in a few minutes.

Ah, well, the pinches I have already for a .451ca rifle, as well as the wooden block, and being retired, plenty of time.....I might give it some consideration.

I used 1/8” thick hard felt from a company called Duro-Felt. If similar material is available and reasonably priced in the U.K. it might be worth considering. Forget the exact cost per wad at the moment, but using the Duro-Felt product believe it was under a $0.01 each. Only other investments are a set of punches, a mallet, a block of wood and bit of time. I can punch out a 100 wads in a few minutes.

I use felt and make my own wads also. I found that a cheap drill press with the punch mounted and works great for making wads. I use to pound and have problems with hang ups, but the drill press cuts instead of severing; makes clean cuts.

I fold up a little dab of beeswax & tallow lube into a square ot toiletpaper. It makes a fine wad and there's no punching or tedious prep work needed beforehand.

The only chain fire I ever experienced was with "blank" charges in an 1851 Navy repro. It was 4th of July, close to 40 years ago, and I handed it to a friend so he could make some noise and fire a pistol for the first time. The load was a healthy charge of 2Fg, a cardboard wad (or wadded paper - I forget which) and a generous dollop of Crisco filling each chamber mouth, all 6 of them. He pulled the trigger, and the gun went off - all 6 chambers at once! So much for Crisco preventing chain fires.

The look on his face was priceless.

Richard/Grumpa

appalichian hunter, you got me! you gotta love it! and so do the chickens!

Back