• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder & Alternative Differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot BP most of the time, but do occasionally use Pyrodex. I have some that has been around for years and it seems to still work fine. I've used both the RS and Pistol Pyrodex. As Tenngun noted, it seems to work well in cap and ball revolvers. I've also had pretty good luck with it in a TC Hawken. I also use black powder on a regular basis. It does seem that Pyrodex takes more work to clean after shooting.

You mentioned Cabelas for BP. You might want to check before driving to get some black powder there. I don't know if they carry it.

I know Cabela's has Pyrodex. That is where I got my pellets. They had several powders I just don't remember what they had for specifics.

It would be highly unusual to find real black powder at a Cabela's, and even if they did have it it wouldn't be on the shelf and the people behind the counter wouldn't know it from flea powder.

Well right now it would not cost me much time or gas as I would reserve those trips for when I go to the VA actually come to think about it. I don't remember the costs of BP or Pyrodex off the top of my head but I did pay around $24.00 for some Pyrodex pistol pellets(100ea) for the revolver we got.

Whats a good way to find a BP club? I don't know of one locally.

Google NMLRA they have info on a lot of clubs.

What area?

Way back when you began this post you used the word available. Availability helped me make the decision to use Pyrodex. I can usually find it in some of the larger cities close by.

It would be highly unusual to find real black powder at a Cabela's, and even if they did have it it wouldn't be on the shelf and the people behind the counter wouldn't know it from flea powder.

The Nashville Outdoor World / Bass pro Shop carries it.

But you’re right about the people behind the counter and it not being on the shelf.

Ask the people at the counter too speak with the Manager.

Back