• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Black Dog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello to all. Near lifelong (82 yrs.) shooter, ML and modern alike; former competitive modern firearm shooter; first firearm a Remington 521T given me by my father for my ninth Christmas (1949). Bought my first ML in Tennessee c.1951 (age 11), and been burnin' powder -- the real stuff, not the synthetics -- ever since. Especially fond of Pedersoli shotguns, Parker-Hale Enfields and Ruger OAs.

Hello to all. Near lifelong (82 yrs.) shooter, ML and modern alike; former competitive modern firearm shooter; first firearm a Remington 521T given me by my father for my ninth Christmas (1949). Bought my first ML in Tennessee c.1951 (age 11), and been burnin' powder -- the real stuff, not the synthetics -- ever since. Especially fond of Pedersoli shotguns, Parker-Hale Enfields and Ruger OAs.
Welcome from VA

Thanks to everyone, but rusticbob has made it clear this is no place for me, hence my reply to him.
I should note too that in all my years in the shooting community, this is the first time I have encountered such vicious rudeness. Nevertheless, again my gratitude to all of you who tried to make a newcomer to your site feel at home.

My reply reply to rusticbob is also my letter of withdrawal:

Not to worry; I attempt to say something helpful in one of my first posts and get called a liar for so doing by someone who is such a coward he insults me while hiding behind a fake name, this is obviously no place for me. Congratulate yourself: you have driven me away. (Perhaps a clandestine hoplophobe, are you? Come here as an infiltrator to disrupt the forum?)

Thanks to everyone, but rusticbob has made it clear this is no place for me, hence my reply to him.
I should note too that in all my years in the shooting community, this is the first time I have encountered such vicious rudeness. Nevertheless, again my gratitude to all of you who tried to make a newcomer to your site feel at home.

My reply reply to rusticbob is also my letter of withdrawal:

Not to worry; I attempt to say something helpful in one of my first posts and get called a liar for so doing by someone who is such a coward he insults me while hiding behind a fake name, this is obviously no place for me. Congratulate yourself: you have driven me away. (Perhaps a clandestine hoplophobe, are you? Come here as an infiltrator to disrupt the forum?)
Black Dog,

I am not speaking for or against rusticbob, but please don’t let one member drive you away from the forum. There is an “ignore” feature you can use so you don’t see that person’s comments anymore.

‘Poet

Black Dog...........Don't leave us. The forum is too important to abandon. You know stuff , that will benefit folks here. There's always a naysayer out there , that we might not agree with , so put on your thick skin , have some fun , and teach us some stuff........oldwood

Okay, decided to return; rustyblob can corrode in his own fouled barrel. Again my thanks to everyone on this thread for your supportiveness.

Also, given the ongoing collapse of the supply chain and government monopolization of propellants and priming chemicals, it may soon be flintlocks are the only guns we can reliably keep shooting. Had an FL pistol in my youth -- .69 caliber Hutchinson or Hutchison, don't remember which; Dublin Castle proof marks, supposedly the remnant of a pair handed down from a Loyalist ancestor, amongst the guns stolen from me in Oak Ridge c. 1964. Shot it a few times with patched log-roller marbles and good ole DuPont Superfine FFFg just to see if I could make it go bang and hit something with it (which both it and I did), but otherwise treated it as a curio. Now however I have three: a pair of .50 Pedersoli Kentucky pistols I built from kits and a four-digit SN .50 T/C Hawken I just bought from Track of the Wolf, but have no experience with that mode of ignition since my first FL. Hence that is a realm in which I sorely am in need of education, especially since I now live in Washington state, where -- apart from this year's extended drought -- it typically rains continuously nine months out of 12.

Typical question: I know how to keep the pistols dry by keeping them beneath a cloak or poncho, but how does one keep -- or perhaps I should say, how did our ancestors keep -- an FL rifle or musket reliable in wet weather. (I know they did, I've just no idea how.) I have some notions, like dripping candle wax on the frizzen to rainproof the joint between frizzen and pan, but the idea of an open flame anywhere near a charged pan strikes me as somewhat less than wise. Ergo...

Guidance in this matter deeply appreciated. Again my gratitude to all on this thread.

Last edited:
Back