• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black bear recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a bear hunt coming up in a few weeks... Looking for some good recipes that you all may have. Will be my first time cooking bear, but I have an understanding of the care that has to be taken with cooking bear in order for it to be safe. Thanks!

I like bear steaks, we prep them just like beef or venison. Rub with Olive oil, salt, pepper and some mixed garlic on top, I only cook bear meat on a Weber charcoal bbq, indirect heat, I throw chipped mesquite or oak that I soak in water to add smoke and control the heat. It is very good meat as long as its a bear that was eating naturally. If its a trash bear the dog wont even eat the meat.

I like the small steaks fried in bacon grease until cooked through. Also can be ground and added to replace pork in any cooked sausage. Just remember to leave some fat on.
I love apple pies using rendered bear fat in place of lard for the crusts.
Walk

Just remember to treat the bear and its meat just as you would prime venison. Field dress it asap, cool it, keep it out of the sun...the black fur absorbs alot of heat. Trim as much fat as you can . Bear meat is good quality meat...alot of folks like the burger. We particularly like it slow cooked like pot roast, You are supposed to cook it well like you would pork....but I have to admit, I have cheated and cooked the tenderloins to medium rare and they were wonderful...I was lucky. Of course you can grind it into sausage like any venison sausage recipe.

We run some cutlets through the aerator/tenderizer two or three times. Soak in lime juice for 2-4 hours in refrigerator. Sprinkle with sesame oil and rub in. Coat with a chile/mango puree (or just buy it bottled). Sear in pan 1 minute and transfer to grill. Baste with chile/lime/mango puree while grilling to 145-160 degrees internal temp. Keep at that temperature for 1 to 2 minutes on grill and remove. Let cool for around 5 minutes before cutting (or eating). Put a dollop of mango/onion relish on top of each piece.

I've had bear jerky and bear stew. The only tolerable ways I've had it. Steaks just fried, or marinated, or grilled, I wouldn't touch again.

The first bear I shot, smelled like garbage after I skinned it. Gave the meat away. The second bear I ate a few steaks from and gave the rest away. Neither of these animals lived anywhere near garbage. Both deep woods Adirondack bears. I stopped targeting bears. Had one under my treestand last year during bow season. Never even bothered to draw the bow. Curious critter, leaned on the tree I was in, and looked right up at me, would have been an easy shot.

Maybe it's an acquired taste and I just haven't acquired the taste. But, good luck on your hunt. Any time in the woods is time we'll spent.

I have eaten grizzly bear loin from a bear that was North of the Artic Circle and certainly not near any human garbage. It tasted terrible. Took one bite and spit it out. It was dredged in flour and fried in butter. Ended up breaking out the freeze dried for supper.

Dont know if I have ever tried black bear or not. Hoping to bag one in 2022 on a CN hunt that has been delayed twice due to Covid.

Fleener

I have tried black bear meat several ways and I just do not like it. Either it was a "trash" bear as someone referred to it of the cooking process was wrong. At any rate I have no desire to try it again. It is a shame, as I have access to areas that bear can be hunted (quite successfully) during season. But, there are plenty of deer and pig there also. I really love venison and wild pork.

Some cuts are better than others. Ribs, etc. I would just roast as a BBQ- they are fine. Sometimes the shoulder, etc. can not be as good- that you might want to save for chili, etc. A lot depends on what the bear has been eating and the time of year. When a bear is gaining weight (Fall) they are usually better than in the Spring after they have lost a lot of weight.
You are right about cooking it well.

Won a chili cook off contest using bear fo rpork and blue grouse for chicken thighs. If bear has enough belly fat, trim out for bacon. The Rocky Mountain black bears aren't as tasty as Eastern ones eating good mast, acorns, etc. I don't care for their ropey, stringy coarse meat but sure use the rendered fat for flakey pie crusts and mixed with beeswax, 2 parts bear to one of beeswax for patch lube.

Look up Mississippi Roast in google, Makes Bear roast amazing!

One 3- to 4-pound boneless beef roast, your choice of cut (see Cook's Note)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
1 package au jus gravy mix
1 package dry ranch dressing mix, such as Hidden Valley
Pepperoncini peppers, number to your liking, and a little juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired
Add to Shopping ListView Shopping List

Back