• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bison Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska also had (has?) raffle tags for several hunts including Bison this year. The more tickets you buy the better your odds...how much $ you got?

Good luck in any case. I'd love to do a Bison hunt. In AK you can use a ML, but you have to have a HP center fire rifle within reach.

Problem with an Alaska hunt is getting the critter home to the lower 48 after you shoot one. Driving to AK would be the best option, but that takes quite a bit of time round trip.

Fleener

Believe it or not Kodiak Island has free ranging Bison. They got there when some guy tried to start a Buffalo Ranch may years ago. It failed, but the buffalo are still roaming around. A buddy of mine went there & shot a nice bull a few years ago. They had to fight off some very big bears after he shot it, so it's not for the faint of heart.
I saw that herd when I was on Kodiak a few years back. I could see Bison in front of me and look to my and see whales spouting. An amazing place.
Nit Wit

Has anyone here hunted Bison? In an earlier post I mentioned getting shutout for Moose permit drawings in both Maine and New Hampshire. It's been a number of years now and I know you can't get drawn if you don't apply but it is getting frustrating.

My dream hunt experience was always Big Horn Sheep. At 61, I'm not sure I could do it now, and the cost is enough to give you heart failure. With that said, I was considering a Bison hunt for maybe 2022. What I don't want is to shoot one in an enclosed, ranch environment. I don't want to go through the lottery hassle either, as I'm already doing that. A couple of the outfitters that I have communicated with tell me that there are no "free range Bison" except in protected areas.

Was wondering what experiences some of you may have had. Thanks in advance for any input/guidance.
I went out to Ford Kansas and hunted (shot) bison with a bp sharps and a .54 Hawken. I think they are out of business now. I'll never forget their outhouse!
Nit Wit

Back