• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bismuth or non-lead shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't put lead in my BP shotgun, I use a UGH! pump gun. Just don't seem tight to do anything else.

Gentlemen, sorry it is taking me longer than anticipated to write up this short instruction manual on making bismuth/tin shot. My father has been very ill and I am the primary facilitator as my mother is also elderly. I am about done with the short manual and will post it this weekend for sure. I have pictures that I have also been editing which will help show certain things in regards to the process I use to make bismuth shot.
Tim, I know we talked last week but if you need to speak more just shoot me a text and let me know when you want to talk buddy. I liked looking at the pictures you sent me showing the upgrade to the existing model of the Oasis Shotmaker. To everyone is is wanting to know more, yes I have used the Oasis Shotmaker to make my shot for the last 7 years. It is a fine shot maker. I did add a reostat controller to mine when I bought but it looks like Tim has has done that as well for the newer model which will really help in making the bismuth shot since it runs at a cooler temperature than compared to lead. Rob.

If I can't put lead in my BP shotgun, I use a UGH! pump gun. Just don't seem tight to do anything else.
Really dude? Shooting bismuth is just as easy as lead without any of the toxicity. I used to be anti-non toxic shot until the late nineties when hunting Reel Foot Lake in TN something really cool happened. I Dropped a big greenhead right in front of the blind. Just before we could pick him up a beautiful female Bald Eagle dropped in and picked him up out of the water. Just 40 yards in front of us. She took my bird to the opposite bank and began to eat the breast out of it. I was glad I was shooting bismuth 4's as that was 1997 and they had just been approved the year prior for waterfowl hunting. After that I have never bitched about having to shoot non toxic shot.

I'm going to try waterfowl hunting this year as I recently purchased a Pedersoli 10 gauge double barrel. Looks like I'll have to do some pattern work with bismuth and Tungsten Super Shot.

Tungsten shot will score your barrel and ruin your gun unless you use a proper tungsten rated plastic wad and somehow are able to keep all the shot inside the wad during the loading process.

Bismuth is the answer, and www.rotometals.com has the best bismuth shot at this time.

Im old enough I recall when they switched to steel. Most companies loaded the steel shot at the same velocity as they had lead. It was terrible. You'd shoot feathers out of ducks and they'd keep flying. I read where it was a velocity problem. So we all switched to bigger shot, 2 sizes.
It didn't help much.

Finally they started cranking up the velocity, as high as 1500fos.
They flat blow geese from the sky.

I wouldn't bother to shoot steel in a muzzle loader because i don't think 1500 fps is obtainable, not because im worried about ruining my barrel.

I really wonder how fast steel shot would ruin a barrel. Are modern muzzle loader barrels softer than their cartridge counterpart?

Most modern shotguns barrels are made from 4130 steel. This steel, even in it's un-heat treated state is harder than the low carbon steels used to make muzzleloading barrels.
Even so, a load of steel shot loaded without some form of cup to keep the shot from contacting the barrel will damage a modern shotgun bore. That's why modern shotgun shells use a plastic cup to hold the shot.

Oasis Pumps which sell the Oasis Shot maker is the owner. Tim is the contact name. Great guy to do business with. He bought Littleton. I have owned an Oasis Shotmaker for 7 years now and have had no problems.

Heads up on the bismuth manual I am working on. I am working with 2 other members and am presently reviewing some of thier material. We will be ironing out the process and making a master process manual which I will submit to the Smoothbore forum and let Zonie (Moderator) post it as a stickie at the top of the forum. That way everyone will have access to it. Stay turned gentlemen.
Rob.

Last edited:
Heads up on the bismuth manual I am working on. I am working with 2 other members and am presently reviewing some of thier material. We will be ironing out the process and making a master process manual which I will submit to the Smoothbore forum and let Zonie (Moderator) post it as a stickie at the top of the forum. That way everyone will have access to it. Stay turned gentlemen.
Rob.
Thanks for your hard work. I really appreciate it.

Bruce

Back