• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

birdshot thru cap n ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert bw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello forum members.just wondering if its SAFELY possible to do so.any thoughts? anyone tried it?

Yeah but it's not good for much. Sprays out real wide real fast. Some folks call it snake shot, you might hit a snake at 5 feet, but if it's 6 feet away forget it.

I used to do this for a Ruger old army. The shot was a very fine, #12 or 14 taken out of exercise ankle weights. I capped the cylinder with a 45 caliber gas check.

This super fine shot is very effective on rattle snakes. The effect is almost as if they were electrocuted. That said a 22 revolver with shot shells works the same.

tried it in my 1851 in 36 cal I made a cartridge out of heavy paper and used #9 shot and maybe 20 grs of 3f it was alright to maybe 8 foot but I believe round ball to be better.

We used to have a feller living in the area who can best be described as a genuine hillbilly. He was also a very talented wood carver. He made is living selling carvings. I'll call him "Billy". Anyhow, tourists frequently stopped at his place to look at the carving and buy them. Well Billy loved telling stories and playing jokes on tourists. One of his stunts was to make a bet that he could shoot an asprin out of the air with his old pistol. Of course, he hit them every time. His secret was his "old pistol" was a replica cap 'n ball loaded with bird shot. Answer, yes, it can be done.

Back