• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birdshot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I'LL BITE. what is it and where did you get it? I like the principle!!
These were common with English sportsmen. IIRC there is a circa 1760-70 American order to England for fowling pieces to be made by a prominent maker as well as a number of these for each gun.

These were common with English sportsmen. IIRC there is a circa 1760-70 American order to England for fowling pieces to be made by a prominent maker as well as a number of these for each gun.
Frederick Green P Letter, 26 November 1771, Wallace, Davidson & Johnson Order Book 1771-1774, Chancery Papers Exhibits 1773-1776, MSA no. 528-27, Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, Maryland, 47.

In 1772, Charles Carroll ordered:

"1 neat cocking Gun 3 feet 1 In & ½ in the Barrell with brass mounting to be bot of Wm
Turvey - Stanton or Wilson, or a good as one as can be made may be got for four Guineas.

6 Steel spring chargers for do to contain in each charger a load of powder & shot & no
more of each than the proper load of the gun."

Spence

Frederick Green P Letter, 26 November 1771, Wallace, Davidson & Johnson Order Book 1771-1774, Chancery Papers Exhibits 1773-1776, MSA no. 528-27, Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, Maryland, 47.

In 1772, Charles Carroll ordered:

"1 neat cocking Gun 3 feet 1 In & ½ in the Barrell with brass mounting to be bot of Wm
Turvey - Stanton or Wilson, or a good as one as can be made may be got for four Guineas.

6 Steel spring chargers for do to contain in each charger a load of powder & shot & no
more of each than the proper load of the gun."

Spence
Thats it! Thanks Spence

Well besides having most of my teeth and hair i have always felt being comfortable in the field is the real key to successful long shotgun hunts. Light equipment and "ergonomically" suited devices add not only to the time you can spend in the field but to its enjoyment. Both flask, snake and pouch need to fit close to center mass and the firearm needs to be as light as possible without drawbacks like being too light (excessive recoil) or too long/ "un" handy in field like catching on weeds and brush. Ask the guy with 30" A5 and a box of shells in his vest how he feels at the end of the day. My barely 6 pounf pedersoli double and snake will always be my first choice.

well that answers my question. I'LL not be going over the pond to get one. thanks.

Primitive or not, I’d like to see what you guys carry your birdshot in for your fowlers. I made a few ball bags awhile back out of some scrap buckskin, but just don’t see it containing #5-8 birdshot all that well. I’m going to tinker with some paper ‘cartridges’ made of brown grocery sacks in the mean time.
OK, definitely not primitive so flame on...I put a bunch of those little translucent plastic vials with the red friction caps into an elastic looped belt made for .410 shells. Load half of them with measured charge of shot and the other half with measure of powder. Put a bunch of hard card wads in my pocket and I'm ready for when the doves start coming in. Don't use a cushion wad and keep this handy way to remember things in what's left of my mind, "If I load this right, I'll have one barrel left."

well that answers my question. I'LL not be going over the pond to get one. thanks.
Toot,
I think you can still order repops from Jon Laubach's daughter. He was a former Colonial Williamsburg gunsmith.

Here’s a few of the ones I use most. The turned horn spout pouches are by Eric Ewing.

F8054E6F-B955-4B95-8AD8-4DB835FE4770.jpeg
DEB50A6A-F07A-4A36-A17F-A7A5D912291D.jpeg
FFA9679C-27A6-4E4B-B5CC-6443F187D1EB.jpeg
6259480B-65DE-4C83-8841-95F8973676B6.jpeg

Primitive or not, I’d like to see what you guys carry your birdshot in for your fowlers. I made a few ball bags awhile back out of some scrap buckskin, but just don’t see it containing #5-8 birdshot all that well. I’m going to tinker with some paper ‘cartridges’ made of brown grocery sacks in the mean time.

Believe it or not, the very best shot carrier I have used is the East German AK-47 cleaning kit can.
It is made like the old Prince Albert tobacco cans ( also an excellent choice) with a good lid that is hinged on one side. Heavier metal than PA can. Usually painted black, or blued. Can be bought at gun shows for $10 to $15, full of accessories Liked the first one I bought 20 years ago so well I bought 8 or 9 more in case they become unavailable. They have many uses, and look like something that could have been made over 200 years ago. Come with several little tools inside ( screwdriver, punch, neat little whisk brush ) Except for a small rubber sleeve for the bore brush, the thing looks like it was purpose built as a muzzleloader kit.
I cannot say enough good things about these little cleaning kits

Work well for carrying wads too. I do not know how to post pictures, but they are on the web like everything else. Look them up. ( Images )

I can guarantee that after buying one or more you will find MANY uses for them.

And they come with the absolutely cutest little long necked oil can inside you ever saw.

Last edited:
Toot,
I think you can still order repops from Jon Laubach's daughter. He was a former Colonial Williamsburg gunsmith.
thank you for the reply on the item.
Toot, I got the opportunity to play with the pouch a little this weekend. It held two pounds of #4 bismuth shot. I also think it’s easier to load with it versus loading from a plastic bag. I still used my dram measure.
I will be using lead shot in it. BISMOUTH is for use on salt water marshes', I beleave where no lead can be used?

Latest posts

Back