• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birdshot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 65002
Skinny one at the bottom holds some loose shot. I hate monkeying with measuring and pouring loose shot while hunting so I don't use this option often.
View attachment 65008
View attachment 65009
Same with this one which is probably the 1st leather accoutrement I made. Shot measure fits securely to leather wrap on plug. Never gets used. Was actually "lost" (didn't realize it was missing until I came across it recently) for a while.

View attachment 65004
Pre-measured shot loads in cane/bamboo tubes. Used this for quite a while.
Then I worked out a way to make these consistantly and repeatably,
View attachment 65007
I make 2 sizes, one size/shot charge for squirrels and small game/pheasants and a second heavier charge for turkey.

Working on a different method of premade paper cartridges that will mimic the ones I used to form at the muzzle. Hoping these will work better with the Skychief load.
thank GOD for SUCRETS! what will happen when they go over to PLASTIC??

Not primitive at all but I find aluminum beer bottles work well enough for #6. The narrow mouth michelob/bud light ones easier to pour than the wide mouth coors/miller. Just throw it in the possibles bag, haven't really noticed it being too noisy.
some people use NIP'S, not authentic, but get's her done.

The one on the right came with my .62 trade gun (Pedersoli) when I bought her off a fella. I’m not positive, but I think it’s #6 birdshot.
Top left I made a few years ago. Braintanned the deerskin and carved the spout and plug by hand using a knife, an awl, and a broken spoon bit. #7 birdshot.
Middle is a commercial piece a friend gave me; I carry 00 buckshot in there. The bottom one I made last year and use it for my .600 roundballs. Both are wet-formed veg tan, and I carved the plug for the bottom one. Working on turning spouts and plugs, now that I have my springpole lathe up and running, so hopefully I’ll have a few more to show before long.
Jay
they are rely nice! thanks for sharing them with us!!

why are reproduction SHOT SNAKES, so darn expensive, $ 140.00 and up? that is just as much as an origionally one.

I STARTED WITH BROWN KRAFT, store paper bags, 70+YRS AGO and I am still using them, both for cartridges & wadding in DBL'S & in smooth bore muskets.
I’ve got some shot being delivered some time next week. Looking forward to experimenting with cartridges.

hamade wad holder, now I rely like that! but how do you load it & dispensed them out of it?
I place the wads in the tube in loading sequence over powder, fiber wad and shot wad. I can get 12 shots in the tube. The tube is a piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe with one end soldered and the other not. It has a leather tong tied to my bag and a keeper on the cap so I don't drop it when loading

A5744CB8-6968-4743-9CE6-1EAB527274E2.jpeg
Well I got bored last night and decided to see what I had lying around to put something together. After seeing a few pictures, I figured I could put one together. Didn’t turn out terrible.

When wild pheasants still roamed the CA rice fields i carried a repop snake pouch with an Irish charger. I had tried an original English leather flask but found it slow and cumbersome. It made the day feel longer as the weight of of it in my pouch was very noticeable when on the run and was prone to loss if the ring pulled out. The snake was way more comfortable and its use with shotgun flask filled the bill. Also handy for ML trap shoots.

Made this one when I started muzzle loading in the early 60's.Used an old flask top and thick upolstery leather saddle stitched and an old police whistle hook. Very worn and patched these days. A bit like the maker.. OLD DOGView attachment 65226
nothing wrong with it. I like the part about worn out like the maker!!

what material did you use for the spout?
I had some dal rod lying around. Drilled out the center of a 5/8 dal rod for the center and carved out grooves for the string to fall into to hold into place. Had a smaller piece of rod for the cap or stopper.

Back