• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birchwood Casey Tru Oil question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Morning,
I'm using Tru-Oil for the first time on the Derringer stock I am rehabbing.
I'm on coat #3 and having good results with it smoothing out after each coat dries.
Planning on maybe 5-6 coats and using 0000 steel wool between coats.
Question is, if I want a matte finish as opposed to the high gloss, what do you guys do that use this stuff?
Lightly got with 0000 steel wool and then wax?
Thanks

I use a mixture of mineral oil or water and rottenstone applied to a felt pad and rubbed LIGHTLY over the Tru-Oil finish. This will knock down the gloss - be careful not to rub in one spot too long as it will remove the Tru-Oil finish quickly - rub - check - rub - check.

After 5-6 coats, just take the last (glossy) coat down as before with 0000 steel wool and you'll have a satin finish, then wax it.

The rubbed down finish, after that many coats, will protect the wood for years to come.

I still hunt with some rifles that I finished over 25 years ago, and they're still perfect.

This is 5 or 6 thin coats of Truoil put on like I described, no steel wool between coats.

TC lock.JPG

Nicely done Eric - I got a buddy that has "THE KNACK" with Tru-Oil and he gets a beautiful finish on his stocks all the time - me - I have to struggle to end up with a nice as finish as both of you.

Nicely done Eric - I got a buddy that has "THE KNACK" with Tru-Oil and he gets a beautiful finish on his stocks all the time - me - I have to struggle to end up with a nice as finish as both of you.

You might have the same trouble as the first gal I dated told me I had - you're not doing it right.... ;)

just finished a TC Hawken flintlock stock. it was brand new but i detest the plastic over coat they put on it. scraped it, sanded, and 6 coats of truoil. the smallest amount you can get on a finger tip and rub as far as you can see it spread before getting another dab. between the 5th and 6th coat i wait a full day and sand lightly with 400 grit to raise a dusting, then apply the last coat and really rub it. fills the pores and gives a great finish. your milage may vary!
20220103_194002.jpg

Morning,
I'm using Tru-Oil for the first time on the Derringer stock I am rehabbing.
I'm on coat #3 and having good results with it smoothing out after each coat dries.
Planning on maybe 5-6 coats and using 0000 steel wool between coats.
Question is, if I want a matte finish as opposed to the high gloss, what do you guys do that use this stuff?
Lightly got with 0000 steel wool and then wax?
Thanks
You could use Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner

Back