• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birchwood Casey Stock Stock Sheen & Conditioner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Guys, I'm in my second go around with Tru-Oil on the Derringer stock I'm refinishing.
I had about 5 coats on that were applied with a 1" foam brush.
Even being sparing, runs developed and I was unsuccessful in smoothing them out with steel wool.
With that, I stripped it down and have restarted the process.
I'm now on coat 3 and am using my finger which I can control how much is applied much easier.
This round I have not been using 0000 steel wool between coats.
I had intended to use the steel wool after the final coat and then wax to get a satin finish.
Anybody used the noted product to get a matte or satin finish instead of steel wool to lose the high gloss?

Despite my best effort I do on occasion get a run of varnish. I have had pretty good success filing it down and finishing with 0000 steel wool.
I have steel wooled and waxed for a softer finish, these days I just accept that all good quality, even my home made, varnish's dry to a hard shine. with use and cleaning they become naturally what steel wooling does and look better. I do not use any thing that will matte the finish, they are silicas that cloud the natural look of the wood.
Robby

I have used it on a shotgun i finished with Tru Oil. It came out great. Just how I wanted it

The best way to apply True Oil is to hand rub it onto the wood, same as you would with Linseed oil. Use rubber gloves, dip couple fingers into the bottle, then hand rub an area a little at a time until you run out of oil, then repeat until all of the wood is covered. Let it dry, then buff lightly with steel wool. Remove dust with a tack cloth, then repeat the hand rubbed process as many times as needed until you are satisfied. Using this method, you will never get runs.

I used it many years ago. I like the results. Polished the TruOil and gave it a soft luster.

Latest posts

Back