• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birchwood Casey "Rusty Walnut Stain" vs "Walnut Water Stain"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting the Traditions St. Louis Hawken kit for my brother from Dixie Gun Works for a Christmas gift. I am purchasing the Birchwood Casey plum brown for the metal finish. But I don't know if the Birchwood Casey "Walnuter Water Stain" or the "Rusty Walnut Stain" is a better match. I am likely going to buy the GB Lin-Speed oil and Birchwood Casey gunstock wax for finish, but am wondering about the Birchwood Casey "stock sheen & conditioner". :dunno:

The walnut is a dark brown and the red is just that a reddish brown.
EBFBE3E6-0419-433A-A8C5-055A9AC43AAB.jpeg
4C1F05D2-B71E-484C-8880-71FB1F17BD12.jpeg

I like a plain furniture wax, I can’t tell Johnson and Johnson from Renaissance.
I would suggest Laurel mountain cold brown over BC hot brown as it’s easier on a barrel to get an even color
I really like Track of the wolfs original oil finish over other oils I’ve used.
LM offers several color of stains and track has a wood selection showing stain color

Go with LAUREL MOUNTAIN FORGE BARREL BROWN AND DEGREASER for the metal work. I tried all of the other brands of Rust Bluing with streaky results. This stuff is great. It gives perfect results no matter how hard I tried to mess it up.

Back