• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Birchwood Casey Barricade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotcrab

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
I just started using this product. Do I need to wipe this product out of the barrel of my rifle before I go shooting? Will it interact or cause problems with black powder. I use a couple of drops on a patch and 1 drop where the breach and nipple are. Very light amount.
thanks

Some folks like to wipe their barrel with alcohol before the first round to eliminate the chance of having oil etc. in the barrel that might cause a misfire. On my percussion firearms, I simply pop a cap on the empty barrel before the first load. I generally hold the muzzle close to some grass or leaves and watch for movement showing the barrel is clear. Even a long barrel and large bore will usually show some movement or if the barrel is clear.

I use oil and barricade sparingly so done really worry much about cleaning the barrel before loading. I don't have trouble with my flintlocks either with oil contaminating the first load.

IMO, no. You do not need to wipe the bore before you start loading your gun if you used only Barricade to protect it.

Barricade drys after it is applied and it does not leave a oily residue that would cause a problem with black powder.

A few years ago I did some testing of various oils to see if they would cause hard fouling from burning black powder.

I think the most important thing I learned from this testing is, the only time petroleum oil caused hard fouling to form was when the surface was "wet" with oil.

I've used Barricade (and its earlier version, Sheath) for years and found that because Barricade goes on wet but quickly dries, it will not be a problem.

I use Barricade in the bore and it does dry pretty quickly. I normally wipe the bore with a dry patch and run a pipe cleaner in the touchole just to make sure it's clear. I've also shot without wiping the bore and there's no difference that I can tell.

In my opinion Barricade can’t be beat.

I’ve had bp guns stored for 7 or 8 years using it without any issues.

I do clean out the residue left behind from the Barricade with denatured alcohol prior to shooting.

I don’t think it would cause any issues if it were not cleaned out due to its thin none paste like appearance .

Regardless of what one uses, a little denatured alcohol and a patch down the barrel before loading is good.........
"misfire insurance"
....You never know if a bug or something has crawled down there.

Colorado Clyde said:
Regardless of what one uses, a little denatured alcohol and a patch down the barrel before loading is good.........
"misfire insurance"
....You never know if a bug or something has crawled down there.

I've gotten into the habit (on your advice I believe) and have not had any misfire or hang fire problems since. It's a good insurance policy considering the price of denatured alcohol.

[/quote]
....You never know if a bug or something has crawled down there.[/quote]

That is definitely something to be careful of. I constantly handle my few MLs and don't leave them alone for a long time.

Latest posts

Back