• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birchbark, deer antler and a little brass for the handle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had some scraps of 1084 and 15n20 leftover from some knives I made so I got it in my head to make a small neck knife. Used it to open a deer I got.

Attachments

• 07D4E826-A9D8-46BD-B79B-11F54F228847.jpeg
    07D4E826-A9D8-46BD-B79B-11F54F228847.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 193
  • B3BBFD4D-701C-43C8-83CA-14A0A4D58ADD.jpeg
    B3BBFD4D-701C-43C8-83CA-14A0A4D58ADD.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 180
Yes, the handle is stacked birch bark. It is a wonder material to work with and has been used on knives for centuries by the Scandinavians, many of whom immigrated to Michigan it seems.

I had some scraps of 1084 and 15n20 leftover from some knives I made so I got it in my head to make a small neck knife. Used it to open a deer I got.
Curiosity based questions if you don't mind.
How do you compress the stack of birch bark washers enough, and apply the pommel, so they stay together nice and solid and tight? Are they glued together? Also, how do you form the holes in the washers so they fit the tang properly?

May not be pc/hc, but, I really, really like this knife. Well done indeed.

Curiosity based questions if you don't mind.
How do you compress the stack of birch bark washers enough, and apply the pommel, so they stay together nice and solid and tight? Are they glued together? Also, how do you form the holes in the washers so they fit the tang properly?

May not be pc/hc, but, I really, really like this knife. Well done indeed.

I use a leather punch to make the holes. The traditional method is to make the end of the tang sharply pointed and use that to puncture each layer of bark as you install it.

I use glue and a wooden woodworking clamp with a hole in one jaw that the tang goes through to compress the stack. I will see if Inhave a picture. Traditionally the compression comes from peening the tang tightly down on the brass butt plate.

Instead of glue the stack would then be heated, some by boiling, others with indirectly warming the stack. This releases natural birch oil/tar that is said to stick the stack together. Frequently the handle is then submerged in linseed oil to seal and swell the birch bark to make it tighter. I finish mine with an oil beeswax mixture.

Attachments

• A8CC496C-8C04-4795-ADDE-BD203262C06D.jpeg
    A8CC496C-8C04-4795-ADDE-BD203262C06D.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 70
Bnewberry:
Gorgeous! Is that some design of Damascus? I don't think I've ever seen that pattern before?
I agree with Brokennock. Well done my friend!
God bless:
Two Feathers

Yes, I used two types of steel and forge welded them together. The 15n20 has a high nickel content so it doesn’t etch as quickly as the 1084 which permits the contrast to show the pattern. This is a simple twist pattern, probably the easiest to do.

Thanks!

Thank you. The pic answers the question in was going to ask about the leather punch holes. The tang doesn't seem to taper, so all holes can be the same size.

Truly a wonderful piece.

Youtube has several videos on making a stacked birch bark or leather puukko knife handle

Back