• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birch Bark Gun Case(?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Orchard

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I haven't read of any, but the material was present in the northern colonies, and is certainly water resistant....
I think there must have been some cases made for guns used in canoe travel, but I don't have documentation....

I can get a scrap from John Lindman www.barkcanoe.com, and if I can fold and stitch it together similar to building/repairing a canoe, I think it might be worth a try to keep rain & paddle splash off my short 24 ga..

Question for the serious historians: Do you think that a material nearly as common as cardboard is to us now, might have been so mundane as to NOT be commented upon?
When no longer needed or worn-out it would be used for tinder(as I have heard accounts of using a worn bark canoe for 75 years ago )-:
Does anyone HAVE documentation or even just passing mention of bark being used for this purpose?

Thanks,
Dave

I haven't read of any, but the material was present in the northern colonies, and is certainly water resistant....
I think there must have been some cases made for guns used in canoe travel, but I don't have documentation....

I can get a scrap from John Lindman www.barkcanoe.com, and if I can fold and stitch it together similar to building/repairing a canoe, I think it might be worth a try to keep rain & paddle splash off my short 24 ga..

Question for the serious historians: Do you think that a material nearly as common as cardboard is to us now, might have been so mundane as to NOT be commented upon?
When no longer needed or worn-out it would be used for tinder(as I have heard accounts of using a worn bark canoe for 75 years ago )-:
Does anyone HAVE documentation or even just passing mention of bark being used for this purpose?

Thanks,
Dave
Bark is used for canoes, clothing, quivers, containers, roofing and fire-building (that I've seen). I wouldn't store a gun in a bark case if you paid me - likely abrasive on the finish and would trap moisture against the gun, which is the last place I want moisture. Bark items are common enough, but not one gun case....

Bark is used for canoes, clothing, quivers, containers, roofing and fire-building (that I've seen). I wouldn't store a gun in a bark case if you paid me - likely abrasive on the finish and would trap moisture against the gun, which is the last place I want moisture. Bark items are common enough, but not one gun case....
Yep. You got that right. Wrap it in a blanket for the journey and unwrap it afterwards.

Back