• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bill to ban Lead Ammunition on New York State Lands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NY State Senate Bill S5058 (nysenate.gov)

This would include all State managed Wildlife Management Areas. This one has gained some traction and has moved along much easier than the one that was stopped in Maine. Again, just another way to ban hunting. With no end in sight of the current ammunition shortage, I don't know how anyone thinks they will find lead-free ammunition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid that if it passes in NY, then CT won't be far behind cause it seems that whatever law is passed in NY, CT is soon to follow.

Well, a lot of letters and emails went out to the reps in Maine. I know that the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association fights hard and does a lot of good work but can't do it alone. It will take a lot of hunters, shooters, and sportsman to write, call, and email for any hope of this one being defeated.

Transition to lead-free or otherwise non-toxic ammunition should be voluntary and gradual until it is truly readily available and affordable. It should not be simply mandated by left-wing lunatics who have probably never even lit a match outdoors.

The problem is it doesn't matter nor do they care. Many of us see these bills as a just a back door way to ban or greatly curtail hunting.

The left only cares that firearms, hunting, and trapping is bad, and bills like these are easier to sell than an outright ban of those activities.

Don't be so sure about that. New York has a healthy population of hunters too. The left-wing loons in NYC simply don't care. I'm pretty sure that the left-wing loons in cities like Philadelphia and Harrisburg don't care about rural Pennsylvania either.

In Maine, the anti's are claiming that only 10% of Mainers hunt anymore. If that were true, how do you explain the record numbers of Moose permit applications, hunting licenses, and new firearms owners?

Here in Virginia, they are trying to ban deer hunting with dogs, and predator killing contests. It would be easy to say, I don't do those things, so I don't have a problem with them banning it. The problem is, with each little victory they move on to another ban. If successful in getting those banned, next will be bear hunting with hounds, or trapping.

The left will never quit, and they will never be satisfied or happy.

Bottom line, all those healthy hunter populations and muzzleloader enthusiasts need to get vocal and get out and vote. We need to support all of our shooting and outdoor activities as one because you can rest assured the left is organized and united.

Pennsylvania has more rural representatives in Harrisburg than the cities of Philly and Pittsburgh combined so I'm not real concerned. Philly has tried to impose their will on the state senate many times in the past, and they get shot down every time.

Perhaps your correct Sidney, I am sure the reps could use all the support they can muster, In these un-certain times there is not such a thing as too much support.

Is’t this more problematic then just a simple banning of ammunition? If anti-gun groups push the strategy of outlawing ammunition (not explicitly mentioned in the 2nd Amendment) doesn’t this achieve their agenda? A Slippery slope seems to be developing!

Is’t this more problematic then just a simple banning of ammunition? If anti-gun groups push the strategy of outlawing ammunition (not explicitly mentioned in the 2nd Amendment) doesn’t this achieve their agenda? A Slippery slope seems to be developing!
California already tried it and it got tossed by the courts.

How would this even be enforced? Are the ga.e wardens or cops going to see a person hunting with a muzzleloader, and demand the person show them what ammo they're using? What's to stop him from refusing or to simply carry some legal ammo in his pocket then stuff a lead one down the pipe? They gonna make him fire it into a stump then go to all the trouble to dig the projectile out of the thing just to nail him?

What happens then to all the raw lead a person may have stored at home? Does that suddenly become contraband and subject to fines, jail time? I think this whole lead banning thing is just a way for the antis to scam the public.

In both Western New York State and here in Virginia I have had Conservation Officers check my shot shells along with my license and stamps while I was duck hunting. That is pretty standard, actually.

Like I said in an earlier post, the leftist politicians in New York City or throughout the State don't care if it's a burden or inconvenience. They don't care if it is more expensive, and they don't care if it causes you to quit hunting and find another hobby or activity. That is exactly what they want.

PETA and the Humane Society pump a lot of money into their campaigns. They have convinced many politicians that hunting and trapping is archaic, cruel, and unnecessary. They use terms like "Trophy Hunting" to paint us all as thrill killers. They also like to say "Nobody hunts for food anymore." Yet another tactic is that wildlife belongs to "all of us." This is true, yet it is the sportsman who pays the most for conservation and wildlife management efforts.

If you take a kid shooting or hunting, they ridicule you and accuse you of training "the next school shooter." This nonsense and lies have to be countered.

Here in Virginia I hear a lot of "share the land" when it comes to our Wildlife Management Areas. What they really mean is they want to use it, but don't want hunting or trapping on it.

In the end, yes it is just a backdoor way of banning hunting or at least make it more difficult and costly.

I think I heard on Rural Radio that at least 500,000 licensed hunters do not vote. There is no excuse for that, and we have to change that. If not, there will be 500,000 ex-hunters who waited too long to vote.

I don't think that would ever fly here in PA, as we have a very healthy hunter population, as well as many muzzleloader enthusiasts.
As a fellow PA resident I don't disagree.
But do not be complacent. Look at what the silly wuss wolfie-poo managed to control during the pandemic.
Every time PA Dems get uppitty the rest of us threaten state funding to Philly and P'burgh .
Makes for a standoff. We need more Mex/Latin migrants to counter the long established Dem bastions in the cities. Our Latins vote R and the ones I've dealt with are friendly, cooperative, energetic, want good schools, and don't take gov't money.

NY State Senate Bill S5058 (nysenate.gov)

This would include all State managed Wildlife Management Areas. This one has gained some traction and has moved along much easier than the one that was stopped in Maine. Again, just another way to ban hunting. With no end in sight of the current ammunition shortage, I don't know how anyone thinks they will find lead-free ammunition.
Sorry man...just those good ole' left wing anti-gun, anti-hunt, anti-everything dem party.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the risk of lead shot to waterfowl? I have trouble envisioning ducks ingesting birdshot way down there in the muck.
You are correct. It's left wing science. The only time a duck ingests leadis when it gets hit with it.

Don't be so sure about that. New York has a healthy population of hunters too. The left-wing loons in NYC simply don't care. I'm pretty sure that the left-wing loons in cities like Philadelphia and Harrisburg don't care about rural Pennsylvania either.

In Maine, the anti's are claiming that only 10% of Mainers hunt anymore. If that were true, how do you explain the record numbers of Moose permit applications, hunting licenses, and new firearms owners?

Here in Virginia, they are trying to ban deer hunting with dogs, and predator killing contests. It would be easy to say, I don't do those things, so I don't have a problem with them banning it. The problem is, with each little victory they move on to another ban. If successful in getting those banned, next will be bear hunting with hounds, or trapping.

The left will never quit, and they will never be satisfied or happy.

Bottom line, all those healthy hunter populations and muzzleloader enthusiasts need to get vocal and get out and vote. We need to support all of our shooting and outdoor activities as one because you can rest assured the left is organized and united.
You are correct. It is time for rural America to take power away from left wing cities...period.

Back