• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bill to ban Lead Ammunition in Maine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So whats a traditional round ball side lock muzzleloader hunter to do?

Ignore it and wait years to get your first warning.
Then ignore it some more and wait even more years to get your first fine.
Then ignore it as long as your pocket book can stand it, then buy non-lead alloy from rotometals and cast your own balls.

According to the summary this is about using ammunition with lead. Since we are not using pre-made ammunition, loading traditional muzzleloaders with round ball could be exempt.

They are trying to do the same thing over here and in the EU. Except they want it to be a total ban on shooting lead, including indoor and outdoor ranges. So in one fell swoop they get rid of airguns, .22lr, muzzle loading rifles, pistols and shotguns.

So every kid who is "caught" hunting rabbits & squirrels with a 22 LR will be fined, as well? Ain't no "non-lead" option for 22's. Seems to me there is no jail time or punishment other than the fine, so I would just keep shooting lead & take my chances.
So, Maine will be like California. Instead of .22's kids will have to get an air rifle which at least in this state is not categorized as a "firearm". Good luck from SoCal.

I just received these to try. They are made of Tungsten/Matrix.
I have tried the ITX ball and they work. However, you'll have to up your patch size because they are smaller .485. They are hard as well so expect a pass through. There is another alternative from Thor that is like a copper mini ball. Currently they are only for the .50 rifle. They make a 4 bullet tester kit (four sizes) so you can see which size best fits your bore. This is all a great pain.

Please keep political parties out of posts made in this thread.
As long as we discuss the issues and not the politics behind it we won't have a problem.

If politics raises its ugly head I'll start deleting posts. Believe it or not, I really do not like to remove peoples posts so no, "Republicans", "Democrats", "Commies" or "Green" comments or mention of politicians by name.
Unfortunately Zonie, everything we do, especially the things many of us here love and hold dear, has become entangled with politics.
It is pretty well impossible to discuss things like ammunition bans (lead or otherwise), special taxes applied to ammunition or ammunition components (NOT including Pittman/Robertson), attempts to stop hunting in one way or another, or really any restriction of our freedoms and liberties,,, without it involving politics.

If some snowflake gets hurt because their parry of choice got called out on being the ones restricting free speech through cancel culture, trying to ban firearms ownership by any means, trying to stop us from hunting, or trying to keep us under control by tells what businesses can be open and what can't and where we can go and can't (can go to Wal-Mart or the liquor store, but church is closed),,, if they are hurt or offended because their party got called out for this in a post on a forum,,,, damn them anyway. Let them go elsewhere, forum wise and country wise, and good riddance.

Status : Public Hearings Monday, April 5, 2021 7:45 AM, Cross Building, Room 206 If you are interested in the bill, you might wish to send in a written statement or even learn if you can ZOOM the meeting.

What is the justification of the ban< other than all lead is bad !! LOL The bill my die a slow death via no action.

Latest posts

Back