• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bill to ban Lead Ammunition in Maine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm...a bit of an exaggeration, no?

34# of bismuth at Roto is $300. You can cast 952 250 grain projectiles from that.
$300 divided by 952 rounds is ~32 cents apiece.
Then again, numbers ain't my forte so you might wanna check them.

wm
Yes it was just an exaggeration as to imply cost. I bought a 7 lb bag of bismuth for $109.00 to shoot in my muzzle loading shotguns when I hunt duck. I figured if there are 7000 grains to a pound, and 437.5 grains to an ounce, I'd estimate I'm shooting 1 1/8 oz shot. Roughly, 500 grains of shot gives me 14 shots to the pound x 7 = 98. So just over $1.00 of bismuth. So each shot (including powder, cap and wads) is somewhere around $1.20/shot. I guess not too bad breaking it down like that. Problem is, the duck is not worth the $1.20 to eat. So I have to factor in the shooting experience. By the way, I've heard that the best receipt for duck is to cook it on a pine board for an hour at 400 degrees. When done, throw away the duck and eat the board!

Last edited:
I sent an email to the State Senator who represents the Rockwood/Moosehead Lake region. I don't live in Maine anymore, but I spend time up in that area.

I didn't rehash the argument surrounding the Bill. I did state that it is simply an attempt to restrict or curtail hunting, and drive people out by inconvenience and cost. I also focused on vintage firearms and muzzleloaders, along with obscure and obsolete rifle calibers and the lack of readily available lead-free alternatives. Finally, I mentioned the number of non-resident hunters who will be looking for other States to travel to, hurting the sporting lodge and guiding industry already damaged by the pandemic. Not to mention lost revenue to the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife due to loss of license and tag sales/fees.

Will it help? I don't know. But the way I see it writing to one the elected reps pointing out things like those I mentioned rather than them just hearing or considering the emotional argument is far better than grumbling amongst ourselves.

If you go to the Maine State Senate website, just go to the first letter of your town or village and it takes you right to the rep with an email link. It don't get any easier than that.

Strick scrutiny will kill that. After the 2008 Supreme court saying that ammo and mags are protected by the second as part of the forearm.

Just like the 10 rd mags for AR, the states can not make you buy what was not made for the AR.

Here is an update to this bill. On April 5th, it was presented to the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Committee. The next step is it moves on to a working committee. Attached is a link where you can read some of the testimony for and against the bill. Keep the pressure on by writing to your Maine State Representative and Senator.

LD 1015, HP 753, Text and Status, 130th Legislature, First Special Session (maine.gov)

I have some great news. This bill is dead in the water, and will go no further (this time anyway). A large part of the decision was legislators said that they couldn't consider a ban on lead ammunition until sufficient non-lead ammunition is first available from manufacturers.

While many of the ammunition manufacturers do produce ammunition with a lead-free projectile, it is mainly in the most popular calibers. Not everybody hunts with a .308 or .270. This was one of the arguments that I made in my letters to State Reps. Folks who hunt with antique, obsolete, or obscure calibers will be left out, along with those who hunt with vintage shotguns that are not compatible for steel shot. Many of these firearms are heirloom items, and hunters would have to retire and replace these firearms. And, as we all know traditional muzzleloaders would have been greatly hampered if this was to take effect.

This is a good win, but we must always be vigilant because I can you promise you they are already working on the next bill.

Back