• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big muzzle flash

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember reading that some guys add something over their (blank) powder charges to make a big muzzle flash. Is it flour, or corn meal or something else. I'd love the recipe.

On the 4th we usually shoot my 1" bored naval gun. This year I tried pouring a 1/4 cup of flour over the powder (300 gr Fg. with a thin piece of newspaper to separate them, and then my normal newspaper stuffing over that. We got the boom and smoke all right, but no big fireball like I was hoping for.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Just don't. Never add anything on top of your powder charge to enhance the potential explosive effect. There are too many variables to go into here, but flour powder is itself explosive. In my longshoring days loading 110 lb bags of flour on board ships we were not allowed to smoke. We used smokeless tobacco instead. Too much danger of a spark blowing up the ship. Please contact the U.S. Field Artillery Association, Loyal train Chapter, Fort Sill, Ok. For safety details and instruction. Cpl. George B., 1st Ark. Light Artillery, ret. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

In the "hold my beer an' watch this" reenactor world, Creamora or non-dairy creamer is put over the powder (before any wadding) to enhance the night-time flash. Other items so used are kerosene saturated steel wool and magnesium powder.. All of these enhance the opportunity to create grass fires.

I used to help crew on a cannon way back when I was into reenacting. The man who owned the cannon used a simple mixture to enhance the muzzle flash for night time shots. I don't remember the exact mixture but I think it was something like flour and ground up charcoal. It did give a pretty good muzzle flash and impressed the crowds.

Thanks guys.

Nothing says "get off my lawn" better than a pre-emptive artillery barrage. :wink:

Just add more powder....no packing the wad.....it'll ignite in the air, till it blow sunburnt out.... :haha:
Col.....get one of Dixie's 2-1/4" barrels, and build your carriage from white oak.....fun project, and she's fun to shoot.....I sold mine years back, but defiantly fun!
Marc

kaintuck said:
Just add more powder....

I agree with Marc. I was shooting a Bess with a worn out touch hole, searching for the best load and using the formula... "If you put any more in you would rather not pull the trigger".

I never did find the load but I am told that the tongue of flame got half way to the target, so that would be 25 yards :thumbsup:

Check what they add to movie ammo -- all those gun flashes are totally fictitious. I too think it is magnesium powder but could be quite wrong.

A few cannon shooters in Germany have been experimenting with pyrotechnic chemicals to charge the color of the muzzle flash.
Boric acid powder for green
Strontium nitrate for silver
Salt for yellow.

When I was in reenacting, some gun crews added some flour atop the powder. All it did was increase the smoke, not increase the fireball. I never saw the need. Gets smoky enough with a straight powder charge.

I hear of all sorts of things being added- steel wool, flour, aluminum powder, and a couple of chems. For myself I won't put anything but whats neccessary to fire the gun in the barrel--too many accidents happening by too many guys by saying "hey look what this can do" while holding a beer in his hand.

Regular flour works well to add some show to night shots (no projectile).

I use a volume equal to the powder volume, but I am shooting a small bore (1-3/4").

Latest posts

Back