• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Big fun with a wee rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I celebrated Thanksgiving with a camping/range trip and the Crockett .32 made my day. What a sweet shooting little outfit it is. I had wanted one of these for a while but was unwilling to pay the freight for a new one. Then one day several years ago I walked up on a private seller, who I knew and had done business with before, at a gun show with one lightly used on his table. The price very fair so we made trade. Then two months later, dang if I did not find another one at the gun show from a different seller, slightly better condition but the same price! So now I have two, one to shoot and one to rest I guess.

I brought the first one for shooting and used .31 balls wrapped in .010 pre-lubed patches and the sights were right on with 20 grains of 3f black. I switched to 20 grains of some very old Pyrodex P and the loads sounded and felt weak and impact was low so I upped the charge to 25 grains and started hitting to the same point of aim as the 3f black. Although the accuracy at 25 yards was good I felt loading was a little too easy. I was able to forgo the short starter and simply thumb-start the ball-patch combo. I think I have some .315 balls somewhere or maybe try a thicker patch. But honestly, the .31 ball and .010 patch will work fine for 25 yard plinking and squirrel hunting. Strangely, and probably a testament to my eyesight, my off-hand groups were not much worse than my bench rested shots. I think I am minute-o’-squirrel accurate at any distance I have business shooting at one.

Later today I am going to up-scale things a bit and make smoke with the “Round Ball Twist” .54 Renegade. I won’t be getting away with 20 grain charges in it.

I celebrated Thanksgiving with a camping/range trip and the Crockett .32 made my day. What a sweet shooting little outfit it is. I had wanted one of these for a while but was unwilling to pay the freight for a new one. Then one day several years ago I walked up on a private seller, who I knew and had done business with before, at a gun show with one lightly used on his table. The price very fair so we made trade. Then two months later, dang if I did not find another one at the gun show from a different seller, slightly better condition but the same price! So now I have two, one to shoot and one to rest I guess.

I brought the first one for shooting and used .31 balls wrapped in .010 pre-lubed patches and the sights were right on with 20 grains of 3f black. I switched to 20 grains of some very old Pyrodex P and the loads sounded and felt weak and impact was low so I upped the charge to 25 grains and started hitting to the same point of aim as the 3f black. Although the accuracy at 25 yards was good I felt loading was a little too easy. I was able to forgo the short starter and simply thumb-start the ball-patch combo. I think I have some .315 balls somewhere or maybe try a thicker patch. But honestly, the .31 ball and .010 patch will work fine for 25 yard plinking and squirrel hunting. Strangely, and probably a testament to my eyesight, my off-hand groups were not much worse than my bench rested shots. I think I am minute-o’-squirrel accurate at any distance I have business shooting at one.

Later today I am going to up-scale things a bit and make smoke with the “Round Ball Twist” .54 Renegade. I won’t be getting away with 20 grain charges in it.
the little 32s are fun. Kind of like a 22 in the cartridge world

Sounds good and a pound of powder and shot will last a long time. Always wanted a .32 but can barely handle .40 balls due to old age hand issues. Have fun with them for me!!

pictures man, pictures.

my just finished,(except for the sights) .32.

i need to order some balls for it. so far i have just fired it with 105g conicals for a .32 acp.
i really would like to see the Crockett. i need another project.

Attachments

• 20211124_151210.jpg
    20211124_151210.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 95
I like everything about my .32 cal Crockett except loading them little balls with my arthritic fingers. They give me the devil sometimes.

Took the Crockett and .315 balls to the range today. As I suspected th slightly larger balls (with the same .010 patches) loader a little tighter, and shot more consistently/accurately. Enough to really matter? Not really, but every little bit counts I guess. I was impressed that I could shoot 10 shots (3f) without swabbing. I really like this rifle.

FWIW, i posted a thread a few days ago re a load for the Crockett, with a coupla’ photos.

Timber Wolf, a agree with everything you’re saying, starting with the fact that it seems to load too easy. But .015 patches were just too tight and threw every round to the right.

You got my attention on the .315 balls, that bears some more experimentin’. But a .310 ball, .010 patch with mink oil and 20 gr of 3F i think are gonna put some squirrels and bunnies in the crock pot.

Anybody else got additional wisdom?

don

I'm completely not wise, but here goes.
That .310 ball with .10 patch (olive oil/bee's wax) with 27 grains of 3f seems to be working.
That 27 grain is because my powder flask has that as a measure. I will be trying 30 grains soon to test its effect.

I have not shot a Crockett but in my 32s I prefer .315 balls. I always use as heavy as a ball for caliber as I can. The only gun that I do not use a .005 undersized ball in is a 45 Seneca and I don't have that gun shooting good yet.

.315 balls and some more .010 dry patches on the way from Deer Creek. Report later.

I’ll repeat my offer from the other post - got a few dozen lubed .010 patches and a package of .015 dry, free to the first “i’ll take it”.

Timber Wolf, i hope i have not hijacked your thread irreperably.

don

I've had a .32 flintlock for years but still miss my Crockett that somehow got away from me. That little Crockett could make a 5 shot, 50 yard group of 1". That's better that I can shoot now. Thirty grains of 3F was my usual squirrel load with a .311" ball. Twenty grains was almost as accurate. What amazed me was that the 30 grn load did about the same damage as a .22LR HP. And just as amazing was the fact of the power it could be loaded up to.

Sounds like guys like the .32 caliber. I do need to do something different with the sights on the Crockett though. I am thinking a bead front and open up the rear a little. That tiny front blade is pretty tough to see.

The Crockett made me a fan of 32 muzzleloaders. Wish Traditions made it in a flintlock. I liked it so much (more accurate than I can shoot, a pound of 3F powder goes a long way, well balanced, etc.) I recently tracked down the Crockett pistol. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but bet it will be a lot of fun.

Jeff

I used to hunt a lot with a custom flint .32 with .310 ball and 17 grains of FFFG, shot incredable for head shots on grouse and squirrel but switched to a .45 as my favorite small game-trail gun.

Any way you sort it out a .32 is super fun and cheap to feed. The Crockett was my first and what a nice rifle!

Back