• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big fingers and tiny nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, this is about guns! Recently picked up an 1849 pocket pistol and I'm having a heck of a time capping it. I don't have huge hands but they sure seem so when trying to load this thing. Does anyone know of a capper that might work on a gun this small?

It is possible with some inline cappers to trim it to be able to cap them. The 1858 rem na it noted for inability to use capper on but some, including me, have fix them to work pretty well. The decision falls in the realm of which is easier. Capping the cylinder or loading the capper.
One possible option is to use a piece of tubing blocked leaving just enough room to insert a cap in the end to put it on the nipple. Just make sure to seat them. Still boils down to which is easier.
Using a bench loader affords the ability to complete the cylinder load off the frame.

I bought a straight line capper and sanded the end of the retainer spring down to where it would work on them tight little nips. Works pretty well for me.

Were you able to free the hammer roller on your piece?
No, couldn't get it to move. Don't want to take a chance on punching out the pin (or drilling it out). There's no wear on the main spring and it will only get shot occasionally; figured it would be ok.

Just shot my Uberti Pocket Navy yesterday and ran into the same problem. I used a Ted Cash Snail Capper that I previously trimmed down. I have a bunch of straight line cappers but had not loaded them up for this trip. Anyway, since the Snail capper wouldn't quite fit and as the temperature was about 38 degrees, my cold,clumsy fingers made the capping quite an adventure!

when I occasionally shoot my 1862 Police Colt the straight line capper from DGW ( or elsewhere) with the end properly fitted works fairly well. I polished away a lot of the recoil shield on the capping side to allow better access to the cones. Capping aggravation is one reason I seldom shoot this cute toy gun.

I've found that I can pull the cylinder in about two seconds and then I have no trouble putting on the caps and seating them. I don't have a bench loader that will work on something this small so the plan is to load on the frame, pull the cylinder to cap it, then back on the frame to shoot. Bet it takes me less time to do it that way than to spend multiple minutes struggling with it and picking up the caps I've dropped.

I too tried a Cash Snail Capper. After some experimenting I opened the jaws slightly and the cap now drops down in front of the nipple, to be pushed in easily. I follow up with my fat finger. It takes some experimentation to get the width right, but it can be done with patience and/or determination/OCD.

Columbus, something like this might help you cap that revolver. I made it out of a piece of aluminum but a dowel should work ok. The hole is just deep enough for the cap to fit flush and I can set the cap and push it on all at once. You do have to have some kind of bench or table to set stuff on.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 64
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 63
Back