• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Bore Air Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveShooter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was wondering does any one know whom makes an Air Rifle that was carried on the Lewis an Clark Expedition? It begins with the Letter G and was made for the Royals of Europe at that time in History when they took such a rifle with them not to scare the native Americans off. Thanks for any input.

I got to shoot a replica of one a few years ago. It was at a living history weekend south of Mercersburg PA. It was very interesting. I was fortunate to get the opportunity to hold a piece of our history that most don't know about.

I do recall the name of the fellow who brought the rifle to demonstrate that weekend. He did tell us the history of the rifle and the story of how Lewis and Clark took it on the expedition.

Speaking of L & C's air rifle, I read that as they were just about to start their venture they gave a demonstration of it for the crowd that had gathered.

The ball (?) ricocheted and hit a woman in the head, knocking her out. They were afraid it killed her but much to their relief, she soon came to.

That put an end to the demonstration.

Needless to say, that air rifle totally amazed the many Indians they demonstrated the gun for. No smoke and rapidly reloaded to make following shots, many Indians thought it was great magic.

Back