• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Big Balls are Better

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I suppose this isn't exactly earth shattering but I got to take my "new" .54 Hawken with a Bill Large barrel to the range today. Yes, it's the same one that was for sale here not too many days ago.

I shot from the bench at only 50 yds using 0.015" prelubed patches and 80 gr of Swiss 2f.

The initial 5 shots with 0.530" balls weren't exactly wonderful, but I picked up the patches and they showed sighs of burning and blow-by. I had, for some unknown reason, also brought along 0.535" balls and decided to try them and see if the patch burning and shredding went away. By and large, they did and the result, with an otherwise identical load, is shown below. I have always shot better with 0.535" balls, but rarely has the difference been so significant.

Anyway, just an interesting morning at the range. From now on, it's all big balls for me. I won't be using up those small 0.530" balls anytime soon. :)

Attachments

• 530 vs 535 diameter balls.jpg
    530 vs 535 diameter balls.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 97
Over the years I’ve had .50 and all save one shot a .490, that one needed a .497.
My first .54 I shot best with a .526. Another needed a .535.
In my TFC A .595 and .600 shoot the same.

Over the years I’ve had .50 and all save one shot a .490, that one needed a .497.
My first .54 I shot best with a .526. Another needed a .535.
In my TFC A .595 and .600 shoot the same.

I Shot very well with a 50 cal using 54 cal balls! Yes, it was a bit of a challenge to short start, and the round ball was no longer round (spherical, actually) but was a 50 cal bullet with round base and nose of whatever shape the short starter was. Still, it shot very well.

Get Dutch's book. Read it. Follow it. You won't be disappointed if you do, and will learn some things in the process.

Just wondering what Carbon's video has to do with muzzleloading? Had trouble shutting the damn thing off.

I deleted the post. Zonie

Last edited by a moderator:
i never every use a round ball more that 5 thousands under bore size to of lands. what the point? accuracy is my thing and i get it to 200 yards with balls only five thousands smaller than top of land size. of course i must confess i use pure linen cloth tight weave medium weight cloth cut off at the muzzle for patching. that has a lot top do with it also. i use between 60 to 100 grains of powder, depends upon the type of shooting im doing. hunting. 100 grains. target 60 grains.

Save your .530" balls, Brent. They're mighty handy when you're hunting with a .54 and the bore is getting fouled .... or for fast
second shots at wounded game .... or just to melt and re-cast to another size. I once had a pistol that was billed as a .58 caliber when I traded for it. Loaded mighty hard with the .576 RB's I was able to get but it shot plumb center. When I finally got a chance to mike the bore, it wasn't a .58 at all it was a .56. Basically, the
.576 balls I was loading with a .015 patch were being swaged into the bore as cylindricals. Talk about a tight fit!

Back