• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bifocal safety glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsnwater

40 Cal
Reaction score
They make these with the bifocal on top or bottom of the lens. I'm thinking about ordering a pair so I can see my iron sights, but I don't know which would be best for hunting. Does anyone here use these for hunting?

I have a pair of the bifocal on top for pistol shooting on my right lens and regular bifocal on my left lens and I don't like it. It works but it makes things all messed up when you are loading the gun. I end up using my regular glasses to do everything but shoot the handgun. I ended up going back to my trap shooting bifocals for all of my shooting. If you don't mind switching glasses between shooting your handgun and then changing back to your regular glasses for loading then they wok fine. Your milage may vary.

I wear a pair of progressive focal lens, made of polycarbonate. No problems seeing the sights. I just changed the sights on my latest build. Williams makes sights with colors of red and green that light up well in most lighting conditions. Easy to replace sights that are dovetailed into the barrel.

Might want to try a pair of safety glasses in a really low magnification like .50 or .75 across the whole lens. I have also used the stick on bifocals for years. They work good. They do come off occasionally and that is not good when you need them the most.

In the past couple of years I have simply ordered shooting glasses with my prescription in them with bifocals as well. Could not be happier.

Fleener

As a lifelong eyeglass wearer, for shooting arms and archery, I myself gave up on wearing progressive lenses. The optimum optical center is far TOO SMALL/NARROW and if one's stance and/or form means that their head is not pointed exactly and directly straight-on to the intended target ... the image is blurry! Am glad that others have success with progs ... but I haven't (at least since I've aged ...).

I had a pair of the old-fashioned typical bifocals made up expressly for shooting glasses and now I can see the front sight clearly, where ALL your focus should be. At the last woodwalk I attended I won everything, perfect socres on the woodswalk, smallest group (attached) and all X's on the highest score target. Now I can see! My goal is to now beat that rifle 'smallest group' target, shot offhand for 5-shots @ 30-yards. That's with a 'coned' muzzle to boot!
5at30-Offhand.jpg

Actually I think I'll raise that goal ... as I still think that the 50-yard offhand, flintlock smoothbore (NO rear signt!) target as shot (nd witnessed) by the late Tip Curtis where the 5-shots formed one ragged hole centered right in the X ... is the epitome of muzzleloading shooting!
TipCurtis50Y-Smoothbore.jpg

Last edited:
I wear progressive lenses for most things but a pair of just longer distance lens for trap shooting. It amazes me how many people will spend thousands of dollars on their guns , but won 't spent two hundred on glasses to improve their shooting. I know two people who shoot high dollars guns , and haven't gotten new glasses in over ten years.And then complain that they can't see their sights or the targets.

Last edited:
I had a pair of the old-fashioned typical bifocals made up expressly for shooting glasses
Can you explain what "old fashioned" means in this context? I'm also troubled by eyeball/focus/sight~target issues and this might help.

I've tried top-focals, modern bottom bifocals, combo top & bottom with narrow "normal" area in between, and single-mag versions. Most have advantages, but all have enough disadvantages that they didn't "stick" - i.e. I don't rely on one type.

Thanks for any clarification* you can provide!

Back