Beyond Townsend

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen individuals Over-age things (Cowboy Action Shooting) where they heavily age and distress a firearm, or purchase one already aged, to look 150 years old, and it is ludicrous. If they are reenacting an era, even for sport, it's like you are "playing" at being in that time. So why would the firearm look 150 years old? Should the clothing also look 150 years old?

That being said, I've seen the other extreme: the aforementioned "catalog" look. The person looks as if they just ought the clothing that day.

I think there's an in between, which is what most seem to be saying here: to look like the clothing has been used. Someone running around the woods in perfectly cleaned and pressed clothing stands out like a sore thumb, and looks like an actor in a cheap movie.

What I have found works well is to "age" things lightly. One way to do this is to throw your clothing in the dryer with a bunch of checker pieces. Rocks can work better, but the dryer won;t look to good after. For movies they use sandpaper and even drag the clothing on a dirt road for a bit.

Another thing to do is soak fabric in tea. Use hot water and tea to soak the fabric for a while, then let dry and rinse. Coffee would offer a darker effect. Of course, best to practice first!

Whitworth

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
Interesting thread about worn clothes. Couple of years ago went into the Harley shop to replace my threadbare HD cap. Look on the rack and they are selling "distressed" hats that looked just like the ratty one I was wearing. Thanked the cute sales girl and said since I was now in style I would keep wearing my old one. Still wear it today. Took 20 of wear years to get my Flight jacket just right :thumb:

kje54

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was enjoying this thread, particularly many of the photographs that had large numbers of very historically correct, 20th century "accoutrements" "carriages" and structures in the background............