• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC Hawken 45 cal. with GM barrel mostly. If I find a breech plug for my Seneca that will take first place due to weight, want a custom barrel for it.

I always grab the same rifle if I'm serious about things - that's my English sporting rifle. I have others I'll take out and play with. I have a flintlock I'm trying to learn to love but we haven't gotten there yet.

I shoot flintlock longrifles 98.99% of the time. But I do gravitate toward the little guys like a .32 and a .36 as they are cheaper to feed and lots of fun. I don't hunt so that works for me.

I've always liked my guns like I've liked my women - variety - Plenty out there to choose from, why not try to shoot as many different ones as ya can. Sure there have been " favorites " but none that would ever stop me from wanting & trying something new when the op presents itself. If, I had to be restricted to only one muzzleloader, period, it would be hands down a TC Omega .45 1:20 twist. But the thought of not having numerous options avail makes me cringe.

Could I keep it to one, geez I don't know.

Two would be much easier, love my 54 long rifle and my 20G fusil, both flinters.

I am a big fan of hawken rifles and love mine, but caplocks just have the same allure anymore.

Now if Kibler comes out with this hawken flint I'll be all over it!

My first and only ML for a long while was an iron mounted Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .50 cal. Today I have a modest collection and enjoy shooting each of them but it is the JBMR that I have shot thousands more rounds through than any of the others because for a very long awhile it was my only rifle. I eventually wore it out and had Mr. Hoyt bore it out to a .54 cal.
While I am merely an adequate rifleman with the others it is with the JBMR that I really shine. Sometimes I surprise myself and others with the ability to snap shoot or instinctive shoot and hit objects I would be hard pressed to hit if I were aiming with any of my other rifles. That JBMR feels as natural to me as my own appendages. So, there just may be something to the adage about a man that shoots only one rifle.
However, I will not give up my modest growing collection of muzzleloaders because "variety is the spice of life."

Last edited:
I have three BP rifle styles/models (and one pistol) but all are the same caliber and manufacturer so…maybe/kinda? :)
On a more serious note I think thats a great old saying and I believe it. I often worry I have too much stuff. Not so much BP (fun and relaxing and very similar) but the more practical centerfire stuff. Considering a cull of the herd.

Hmm good point I would say I do shoot all my long guns but selection to shoot is determined where and whom I am shooting with, when shooting alone. (I don't hunt, have nothing against it and I do support those who do) My Long Guns span from the two flints, and 3 PC, the rest being brass war time rifles. Most my modern war time (Trapdoors up thru Vietnam) I have shot pretty darn well from 150 to 200 yards depending on the rifle. (I'm no expert by far) My PCs and Flintslocks muzzleloaders I am now more into shooting. Actually enjoy the entire process and beauty of them, I find them to be more challenging. My favorite of them is my 1863 Type 2 Springfield. The darn thing is spot on at 100 yards, just love shooting it. Its definately a head turner when shooting among the younger guys shooting all those hi-tech black rifles LOLOL. The Flintlocks...I'm still wet behind the ears. Challenging indeed they are, but rewarding and fun to shoot. Me personally, my go-to long gun that shoots everytime no issues ever and consistent....sorry guys, is my 1944 M1Carbine. Far more reliable over the years than any AR, AK I own. But over the years I will say my love goes to the Muzzle-loaders. Cant really say which one is my favorite, I love to shoot them all.

There’s an old saying ‘beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it’. This thread is not intended to be a percussion vs flintlock, smooth bore vs rifle or any kind of this vs that discussion.

I am wondering if anyone mainly shoots just one muzzleloader or one type of muzzleloader and what it is. I’ve been thinking about settling on just one muzzleloader or one type in order to get more proficient with it.

What say ye?

Thanks!
I like to be well versed in everything so I got a little bit of everything. Flintlock, percussion, unmentionable, and cartridge. I'm pretty good with all of them. My favorite? Pedersoli .45 flintlock Kentucky. Just shoots laser straight.

I think I have 17 muzzleloaders - or maybe 18 (or is it 19?). Well anyway, during our 70-day deer season I generally head to our hunting lease campground mid-day Friday and stay until after the morning hunt on Sunday. I hardly ever miss a weekend during the season. When I get to the camp on Friday I load 4 guns for the weekend hunt.

It will typically go like this.
Friday evening hunt - .54 Great Plains flintlock
Saturday morning hunt - .58 H&A underhammer
Saturday evening hunt - .50 Hatfield caplock
Sunday morning hunt - .45 TC Renegade caplock

That may sound a bit crazy, but remember - I'm Semisane.

For me this would be a typical Rhondy. Arrive Wednesday, Thursday AM tradegun PM trade pistol Friday AM flinter PM perc pistol Saturday AM perc rifle Saturday PM shotgun or cannon Sunday AM shotgun or cannon. Monday time to leave. Get home and recover.
Doc,

I have many more muzzleloaders than need or I can shoot on a regular basis (actually, I need all of them because I want them). I cycle through four: An early Lancaster style flintlock; a "Hawken" style rifle made by a local some years ago. It came with a Redfield, Olympic, peep sight; a half stock percussion "mountain rifle"; and a "Vincent" or "Ohio" style rifle.
Each is for a special purpose or simply chosen just to have fun shooting.

There’s an old saying ‘beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it’. This thread is not intended to be a percussion vs flintlock, smooth bore vs rifle or any kind of this vs that discussion.

I am wondering if anyone mainly shoots just one muzzleloader or one type of muzzleloader and what it is. I’ve been thinking about settling on just one muzzleloader or one type in order to get more proficient with it.

What say ye?

Thanks!
The one in my avatar is what I usually shoot as of late. It really depends on where I am shooting and what the schedule is. My rifles have changed as my strength has reduced. One gun only is not for me!
Larry

I’ve got about a dozen rifles. I try to shoot them all. I do have a few favorites and I guess the one that is my “go to” rifle, my .62 full stock Hawkin.

That old saying could not be more true. As a marksmanship instructor I should know better…they are all mostly the same, but each has minor differences. Those differences have resulted in a few misses. Mainly due to trajectory or proper sight picture at distance.

My guns are usable art. I love looking at them, using them and being their caretaker for a while until they leave me and move on.

Each fall I designate the A Team for hunting season, usually three rifles, and try to focus my practice on them.

Sometimes it works!

Latest posts

Back