• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the guns we like were all there were a man could usually afford only one gun unless they were well off. There's lots of evidence of people joining volunteer regiments bringing shotguns.

Our club, based on the Cambs/Northants border, with an indoor section in the nearest town, Oundle, is just over half a mile from the nearby village. Our main range firing point is internally sound-proofed, surrounded by trees and faces into what used to be a clay-pit in the 19th century. You can stand a couple of hundred yards away and vaguely hear shooting noises, but that's about it. So long as you abide by the range rules regarding velocity, there are no problems. The figures shown here are typical of a short range like ours -

View attachment 156999

Nobody gives a hoot what you shoot - and in fact we have an entire day given over to black powder shooting only - no other form of bullet propulsion is permitted - loose or cartridge [sorry], so long as its BP or a sub, you're good.

I've mentioned before, many times, that a goodly number of our almost 500 members also shoot game - excluding the few professionals who are game/estate managers/wardens. None of the shooters I know are overly-blessed with large wallets - in fact, some supplement the usual pay with profits made from selling their kills. I'm not into that side of shooting sports, but if I were to become interested it would present no problems to me, and only entail me getting a suitable variation to my firearms certificate to enable me to use some of my unmentionable rifles for the purpose of killing game.

I would also be required to join the British Deer Society and take their basic deer-stalking and game management course - BDS1 - and upgrade it as time and experience permitted. I'd be looking, too, for a mentor, to guide my burgeoning career as a deer-stalker, one who would, eventually, pass on to the relevant authorities that I was a safe pair of hands to be allowed to seek my own 'permissions' on which to take game. At least ten of my close shooting pals would be happy to take me on as a noob to deer-stalking, unlike many of you, for whom no form of instruction seems to have ever been necessary, I know very little about it and would have to learn the ropes.

Y'see, the UK is a small place, and just about everywhere is owned by somebody or something. So you can't just get out of the ol' pick-up, walk into the woods and start blazing away at anything that takes your fancy, as so many of you seem to take great joy in doing.

Here, where having an 'over' from a .308Win might end up in a bus-stop line, or somebody's living room, all land is assessed prior to use for the kind of calibres that can be shot over it in a safe manner. This, of course, will have ramifications on your choice of rifle. For me, personally, it would not be a problem, as I have eight suitable unmentionables already, any of which would do just fine for the kind and size of deer on these islands.

Not BP though. :(

How grateful I am that my predecessors migrated from Scotland to Australia in 1857.
I have long time friends of mine living in the UK who wish they'd "jumped ship" and emigrated years ago, its bluddy sad to realise how emasculated the Brits are nowadays.

Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Its a lot more likely that the man with one gun has never fired it and does not own any ammunition.
LOL, i think that there are so many "safe queens" that it is laughable. There are as many firearms that are not shot as there are those that are ( IMHO)

LOL, i think that there are so many "safe queens" that it is laughable. There are as many firearms that are not shot as there are those that are ( IMHO)
You are probably right except the wife wont have one over the fire place I have around 23 hanging on the wall it’s very sad such is shooting life in Uk Buy I sit here over coffee plinking down garden at 50 yards with a pcp bsa Scorpio 177 if I shot a real BP one illegally the police woukd take them all away and I would go to prison for 3 years. Just not worth it however tempting. They even took my shotguns away just reducing shotguns in circulation all politics like I might shoot an intruder at 79 so many fabricated lies about me. Being an innocent pleb does not come into it , better not say any way I have had guns since 1963 never a previous problem, such is life.

France is ok but government still churns out more and more gun laws in 3500 miles of France right down to the med I did not see any game especially hogs. No birds either. They claim France is over run with hogs ??!!!7 Thus my compound bows stayed in my Motorhome , what a deadly silent weapons is a compound bow. O shoot a Hoyt ionx bow too. But you cannot shot game with it in uk. Unless you ate poaching ha ha

Western Australia is the same. No animals and you don’t shoot the Roos Up Northern Territory say out of Darwin it’s a hunters paradise from camels to water buff , hogs etc you name it.

If in Perth WA , love the beautiful city and you want to get to Darwin it’s easy punch into your Tom-tom. “ at the next junction , take a left turn , after 2300 miles you have reached your destination “ only got as far as Exmouth as we smashed the car up in the desert. , cousins wife driving. Ha ha what a laugh nobody here

Enjoy from london

Attachments

• 10083BD6-8D13-4C71-98F8-2DB562E1BD1A.jpeg
    10083BD6-8D13-4C71-98F8-2DB562E1BD1A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Old Irish saying - 'Níl ach bróg amháin de dhíth ar an bhfear aon-chosa.' - 'Only a one-legged man needs one shoe.'
Hi, I didn't know it was an Irish saying.. I first heard it, as a boy, from the 'ostlers and plow men(and Girls) in a heavy horse stable in rural Worcestershire during the last european curfufull. I was about 9 or 10.. But don 'er be tru.. O.D..

How grateful I am that my predecessors migrated from Scotland to Australia in 1857.
I have long time friends of mine living in the UK who wish they'd "jumped ship" and emigrated years ago, its bluddy sad to realise how emasculated the Brits are nowadays.
Hi,while'st I Had an ancester move to Perth,OZ , not Scotland in early 1900's we Brits are not as emasculated as you may think. I still have Several C/F full bore unmentionals And M/l's. Our local range has a H/V certificate to 100mtrs as well as B.p. up to .750"bore, together with Small bore R/F and 25mtr Pistol ranges. We can shoot deer without a DSC1 or 2 If the land owner pemits even in Scotland. We are still not devoid of police forces who are sensitive to shooters needs and a cardre of people who can shoot. Our shot gunning is still quite open with lots of clay grounds,organised game shoots and plenty of rough shooting and coastal wildfowling with permission providing you are sensible and Behave your selves.. OLD DOG..

Hi,while'st I Had an ancester move to Perth,OZ , not Scotland in early 1900's we Brits are not as emasculated as you may think. I still have Several C/F full bore unmentionals And M/l's. Our local range has a H/V certificate to 100mtrs as well as B.p. up to .750"bore, together with Small bore R/F and 25mtr Pistol ranges. We can shoot deer without a DSC1 or 2 If the land owner pemits even in Scotland. We are still not devoid of police forces who are sensitive to shooters needs and a cardre of people who can shoot. Our shot gunning is still quite open with lots of clay grounds,organised game shoots and plenty of rough shooting and coastal wildfowling with permission providing you are sensible and Behave your selves.. OLD DOG..
Sounds like you live in uk. I take it you have been to Perth Me not been there for 3 years the big , massive ranges are at Johdulup but you cannot get close up to shooting benches it’s not a place for visitors or watchers It’s not really a place for hunters either. Most guns are like .243 etc fantastic fun racing 36ft cruiser on Fremantle water …. could not find any gentle frog hunting tiger snakes on banks of swan river don’t get bitten though deadly poison bite Cousins apartment opposite the zoo and fantastic animal and bird sounds to wake you up. We used to get £2.8 to AU $. It was less than half that last time. Bloody expensive. So was the ferry to Rotness island. Had to show wife the Quackers so lovely like big rabbits.

See you or I’ll be writing 10 pages. Love from uk where every you are

Sounds like you live in uk. I take it you have been to Perth Me not been there for 3 years the big , massive ranges are at Johdulup but you cannot get close up to shooting benches it’s not a place for visitors or watchers It’s not really a place for hunters either. Most guns are like .243 etc fantastic fun racing 36ft cruiser on Fremantle water …. could not find any gentle frog hunting tiger snakes on banks of swan river don’t get bitten though deadly poison bite Cousins apartment opposite the zoo and fantastic animal and bird sounds to wake you up. We used to get £2.8 to AU $. It was less than half that last time. Bloody expensive. So was the ferry to Rotness island. Had to show wife the Quackers so lovely like big rabbits.

See you or I’ll be writing 10 pages. Love from uk where every you are
Been to Perth a lot. To the Golden Retrievers of Scotland shows for years and the Scottish Game fairs to run dogs in the Scurries. Did quite a bit of fishing around there as well.

Back