• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BEWARE OF FEDEX AND COLLECTING TEXAS.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks I live in a rural area of Colorado. I've had FEDEX drop off a package at a natural gas well site gate(absolutely in the middle of nowhere! A local passing by the site picked it up and delivered it to me.
Another time FEDEX left my package attached to a locked gate to a ranchers cattle pasture! I got an email that it had been delivered. Got in the SUV and started driving through several canyons, finally found it, again in the middle of nowhere.
Most recently, got an email FEDEX delivered package to my front door. Searched front door, back door, vehicles, shops, NOTHING!! Again went out and searched road after road. No one knows where driver left it or just threw it away!!
My phone munber is on my FEDEX manager....never called!
What I do now is try to find my products with either USPS or UPS shippers.
**** NOTE **** Now all that being said, folks have had these problems with UPS and USPS!!
Moral Of The Story: It Is What It Is......Just say a prayer when you order a product:ghostly:

I was interested in a Parker shotgun advertised by Collecting Texas a couple years ago. Via email I asked about half dozen questions and their response was for me to look elsewhere cause they didn’t have enough time to answer them. I was gone like a rocket!

Not all Fedex guys are bad. I took time and talked to mine and have gotten to know him. Told him if he ever wanted to save a stop he can drop everything off at my business (he does both the business and my house). I've never had an issue with Fedex, and the one time I did have damage my driver called me and told me it was damaged and to not sign for it since it was damaged so it would go back on the shipper. Same with UPS. The issue is there are a lot of hands between the seller and receiver, and not everyone cares. Stuff just needs to be packaged well. I've bough more than one gun from gunbroker, and other sellers where it was just put in a carboard box without many packaging at all.

I was interested in a Parker shotgun advertised by Collecting Texas a couple years ago. Via email I asked about half dozen questions and their response was for me to look elsewhere cause they didn’t have enough time to answer them. I was gone like a rocket!
Well, he responded within 2 days of each email.but let's this be a PSA to AVOID

One problem with shipping is the customer. Many ask for the cheapest way. Argue paying sales tax. Then some complain about the cost citing the fee from one zip to them. Never once thinking about insurance,the box,packing,tape ,time and dropoff if need be.
I offer customers the option to send me a shipping label with payment and they can contact the shipper for pickup. Add 15$ for materials to the total cost.

I use all 3 carriers, today the USPS had the best price.

FedEx USEDTO BE a good company — back in the old days.

Somebody dropped something real heavy on a package containing one of my revolvers that had gone in for repair. The driver handed me the box with the damaged side down so I did not see it until he was gone. The rear sight was busted right off the gun. I called FedEx and they said they could not reimburse ME for the damage; but WOULD REIMBURSE the company that shipped it to me. And — that company did not want to reimburse me either. But I was able to convince them.

Another time, FedEx delivered a costly piece of electronics TO THE WRONG ADDRESS and the driver swore he delivered it to me. In the midst of beginning the process of filing a claim, the honest citizen who had received the item in error brought it to me.

Has anyone ever successfuly filed and won a claim against fedex? This is what happens when you order from Collecting Texas and use fedex. I've never seen such a devastating injury to a rifle.....loss of words. Word to the wise, USE STIFFENERS IN YOUR PACKAGE!
I've never had to file against Fedex, however I don't use them much. I NEVER use USPS. They're a waste of time and money, especially their insurance. I primarily use UPS. I've always bought 'Signature Delivery' and 'Insurance'. I have a business account with them. 2 months ago, I had to file my first claim with UPS. What a hassle. Just saying, I will never buy their insurance again. UPS totally mangled the package, but in their denial letter, it was my fault for not packing the item, 'To Their Standards'. It was a form letter at that. Must be their GoTo denial letter.

There are definite advantages living in a small community that I don't always think of. I know the postmaster, the UPS driver from the neighboring town one way, and the FedEx driver from the other town the other way, all by their first names, and a couple of them I have known for years. Just don't seem to having trouble with packages. When I have a return, I just call their personal number, and next time they come through they will pick it up with no additional charge or with me not having to haul it 30 to 50 miles or even farther to find a delivery point. We don't have mail delivery, so I have to take it to the post office. There are no problems.
squint

IMHO, if you're shipping a long rifle or a stock for one, follow Kiblers example. Package it like it has to pass through the gorilla cage at the zoo.

It is also my opinion that all three shippers will gladly sell you insurance for your package, however they have no intention to pay when there is damage. It would be interesting how many million dollars are generated each year from shipping insurance. It's the perfect scam.

I had trouble with UPS not wanting to pay off on insurance.

Went to the company I worked for, they had a discussion with UPS and told UPS if I was not a happy camper, the company was switching shippers.

No problem.

Collecting Texas website says ...
"All items shipped fully insured - read item description for specific shipping notations; Note: No International sales under any circumstance; No shipments to California F.F.L. Dealers; will ship C&R eligible items to C&R license. Antiques shipped without license to anyone EXCEPT New Jersey and City of New York where a FFL or C&R is required."

I worked in the warehouse industry for over 30 years in shipping. What people don't realize is the outrageous numbers you need in some warehouses to keep your job. One warehouse I worked in you had to throw 300 cases an hour. If you worked 10 hours that day you had to throw 3000 cases and they were hand loaded! The saying there was "Don't think throw!"! It was the only way to keep your job. Every 2 weeks you got reviewed and if you didn't meet you quota you had 45 days to bring it back up or you were fired. I am not saying this is an excuse for such damage but this is how it happens. The warehouses want robots not people to work there. You had to throw 5 cases a minute and breaks and lunch weren't forgiven so it came out to 325 cases an hour!

Way back in the early 1960's my Dad would get me a Christmas break job at the Post Office. I quockl;y learned that "Fragile" means "Throw Underhand".

When I ship MLs I build a perimeter frame out of 1 x 3 lumber, then build the cardboard box around it. Lots of staples, lots of strapping tape.

I've said it before. Pay by credit card only. It's your best protection for the money end of it.
As far as packing, take it to a UPS store (shipping center). In an open wooden crate with the lid. THEY pack it with their materials, and their guidelines. If it breaks, they can't claim you did a darn thing in substandard packing of the box.
Their materials. Their packing. Their handling 100% of the way. They have no recourse but to pay. Thats how I got reimbursed for the snapped neck of a 5K banjo.:mad:
I wonder how many UPS stores will ship a rifle?

When shipping firearms, I’ve learned to always make a wooden crate. I pack that crate with foam peanuts and other soft packing to give it some cushion. I normally get the insurance, but luckily not had to use it….I’ve always wondered how hard it would be to cash in on it.

When I used to ship m/l guns UPS , I always made a box , of one Inch pine wood for a frameworks , then put indoor house paneling , over the outside of the pine frame. Never had a gun damaged , or "lost" ,

There appears to be some people at FED EX that deliberately destroy packages that contain guns. Poor packaging is a huge problem. Many sellers are clueless. Everything needs to be packed well enough to with stand being run over or thrown onto concrete from a height.

So, use USPS and make a wooden box that has supports for the gun inside. Kibler does both, I have never received any damaged kits or barrels from him. 8 of 8 were all good. Some were damaged by rough handling. This includes tire tracks on the box.

For shipping barrels I have ABS drain line tubes with cleanouts for access. The barrel is contained in the black pipe insulator foam. Several inches at the end are packed with solid foam.

I receive a lot of mail order. I also get lots of damaged packages. 100% of the time the fault rests on the person who packed it wrong. There is no expectation of careful handing any more.

Back