• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beware of deer creek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breech

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking for a reliable well made rifle in 32 cal and 36 cal.I own a underhammer 32 cal pistol made by trditions and just love it.When I ran accross the deer creek underhammer (Hopkins and Allen) copies I decided I wanted one in 36 cal.Also they offer a 32 cal. mule ear rifle and decided I would give them a try.I found a guy building them and selling them completed and ordered one of each.I sold them to a friend of mine as soon as they come in because he wanted to get into muzzleloading and I wanted to help.Also could get two more if I wanted but there aint know worry bout that.The underhammer started out with problems and while my friend was showing me how the hammer would fall on its own if pressure was put put on it sideways the sear fell out in two pieces.The mule ear is not much better as it misfires about every 3rd shot.Acts like the hammer hit is weak cause fires on the second strike.Seems to be a quality problem and besides my buddy being mad at me.I feel guilty because Im not never buying another one of deer creek products and found out regretfully through my friends misfortune that they are respectfully plagued with problems. Man I like a good underhammer and always like the mule aers to but if they cant do it right they need to get out of the business.Their kits arent cheep.

Sorry about your experience with Deer Creek. I put together one of their American Pistol kits. It cost about $120.00. It shoots pretty well, i.e. about an inch and a half groups at fifteen yards. I also put together one of their Northwest Rifles, this is a plains type rifle with double wedge plates, supposed maple stock, all iron furniture, 1/66 rifle twist, etc.
I think a lot of their parts are CVA surplus. They are an official CVA repair shop as far as putting in breach plugs, etc. The locks are not the best and ditto on the triggers. I think the rifle is about $180.00. This is more than CVA, etc but you get iron hardware, a 1/66 twist, etc. Unfortunately I don't know much about the under hammers. The Gun Parts Company in West Hurley, NY bought out Numrich Arms that had the Hopkins and Allen? under hammers. They may be able to help.
:)

One thought about the mule ear as I had a similar problem with a Traditions Derrhunter AFTER I replaced the nipple. The problem was the cap wasn't fully seated, I chucked the nipple in a power drill and sanded the nipple till the cap seated properly. Unfortunately for customers the nipples tend to be machined, which means +/- tolerances, where caps are stamped with much more repeatable dimensions.
:m2c:
If he still has it it's worth a try, I've waited a while for some feedback on these guns and it's good to hear about any potential issues.

Can anyone vouch for their accuracy, as they may be second hand CVA barrels? My CVA squirral, while not broke in fully, has proved to be capable of sub inch groups at 25 yards.

ashelocoa

I agree about not selling to friends till you check things out but I dont know what wallmart you shop at but these are not walmart guns.Although they dont sell for kit prices like TOW.They are not bargain basement priced either.If a person puts alot of time building a kit and it doesnt work due to no fault of their own.I think the building company is to blame and if they cant put out a good product worth a man investing time and effort into building one of their guns they need to get out of the buiseness.

I never heard of any problems with Deer Creek. The guns I've seen were OK.. Being put together as a kit, the builder is suspect. :: Just guessing.

I've had some problems with the quality of some of their products, mostly revolvers but also getting stuff with rust or corrosion on it. However, they have been very good about taking stuff back and replacing it. Just wish they would inspect stuff before sending it out. I have heard of others having problems with the underhammer kits. Not sure if its Deer Creeks fault or the kit makers. I'm sure if you call them and ask them nice they will refund or replace.

Don

In all fairness, and I do not have a dog in this fight, underhammers, especially H&A, are some of the simplest actions being produced. Don't expect the quality of a custom rifle, or pistol, for the price of a H&A type gun/kit. Almost any problem encountered can be identified and repaired by the least adept enthusiast. The only 2 moving parts are the trigger and hammer which can be slicked up and/or adjusted with a couple of files and emory paper. Nipples are often not an exact or correct fit or often the wrong size caps are used. As has been said, put them in a drill motor and turn them down. I've dealt with Deer Creek and they always seemed ready to help with information, suggestions or replacement. I find them to be good people.

17 years old? It just came up. 17 years ago Deer Creek was under different ownership. My comments reflect the current ownership.

About this time a year ago (that would be 2020, not 2003) I had a quick phone consultation with Jason at Deer Creek. He was swamped at the moment with orders and little help due to Covid. He still took the time to answer questions I needed to ask. Later that evening I placed an electronic order and it shipped over a thousand miles in the Christmas rush in just a few days.

Mentioning this because I was very pleased with the customer support, shipping time and the parts, pieces and projects they sent me. Will definitely order from then again.

I saw that this thread was started 17 years ago, but here it is. I've only ordered from Deer Creek once, and that was earlier this year (2021). I placed the order online, and had it in my hand within four days. The order was complete and very securely packaged. No drama. Items received were exactly as described. I was very happy with this transaction and will recommend Deer Creek Products without hesitation.

I had a look at their current website, and I don't think they carry the underhammer rifles any more, nor did I find the "Northwest Rifle" mentioned in post #2. This is an old thread. Whether the original poster's complaints were valid or not is a moot point.

Deer Creek Products is a good outfit.

Notchy Bob

I concur with Notchy Bob.
I've placed three parts orders from them in the last month.
All have shipped within a day.
Not sure about their kit quality but they have been a great help on the phone and ship quick.

Deer Creek is reliable, they were known for good prices. I bought one of
the last stainless 1858 Rem NMA Palmettos from them some years back.
There were some ownership changes along the way. I would see if they can
help in any way. They are a small business. they have some important parts.
Kits are a variable item. They are not for everyone. Doing a good kit is like
flying by the seat of your pants- there is art and skill involved. We need all the
businesses we can get in this sport if it to stay vibrant and strong. I would
call and slowly carefully layout your problem. I totally understand the gut
reaction to tear into a business that is part of a bad purchase. However,
that business wants a good name-- so I would seek their help without
emotions or accusing them. Just my thoughts.

From my conversations at friendship this spring shoot, they have also purchased Tip Curtis's operation. Not sure of full scope or if will be on the Deer Creek website, but was selling tip's remaining stock in tip's location and Tippy was there helping.

Back