• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BEWARE EMAIL SCAM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is posted here instead of "Non-Muzzleloading Discussions" so that all members, not just premium guys, are warned...

I got this email today... looks legit right? ODD..., my name doesn't actually appear....

SCAM INVOICE ORIGINAL.jpg

Except I'm not buying a semi-auto "pistol" in the modern, Soviet, combat rifle caliber, AND I don't have a PayPal Account, BUT it was slightly possible that some yahoo got one of my cards, then set up a PayPal Account, But that didn't happen....,

SO what this is, is a "Scare Scam". You see the large charge, and the "800 number" and you call them to dispute it...,

Then when they answer, they have to "verify" who you are, while the secretly record your voice. They want you to answer "yes" to just one of several of their questions...., probably the last question that they ask..., something like, "So Mr. [fill in name here] you want to cancel this transaction, is that correct?" THEN since they see your phone number coming in, they then charge that number with authorizing all sorts of bogus charges for services and fees, and have your own voice, with a dubbed in question you never were actually asked, answering "yes" and authorizing the charges..... IF they get the caller to slip up and state a credit card number and authorization code, it's even worse....

Funny when I called them from my desk at the police station the recording said "there is no one here to take your call"... really, nobody at PayPal ??? LOL

Here are some flaws in the invoice, when you closely look at it...

SCAM INVOICE.jpg

So I have posted this for all of us to be on our guard. Stay vigilant ; Stay safe , folks!

LD

Last edited:
These days one cannot assume any internet transaction is completely safe. PayPal can be strange. I have not been able to access my account for several years. Amazingly, someone else has the same e-mail address as me. Oddly, it is a lady older than myself who lives not far away. Of course PP put a hold on the account until this is cleared up. But, no one seems to know how to fix it. How it happened is a mystery. Unlikely an elderly woman would want an e-mail address that starts with [email protected]

Funny when I called them from my desk at the police station the recording said "there is no one here to take your call"... really, nobody at PayPal ??? LOL
What's even funnier about that is that of you do legitimately have an issue with PayPal that would be best handled with a phone call, good luck even finding a phone number to call.

They still owe me over $100 from when they locked and canceled my account with no explanation other than, "read the service agreement."

I get a lot of spam on my Yahoo email but most of it goes into the spam folder. I have a friend who's email got hacked and I get spam from "him". If I hover over the email the sender's address shows and if it's legit I open it. If it shows a uk or some other strange address it gets deleted.

Just life in the 21th century. I keep a pretty low tech level lifestyle, no smart phone, no Amazon account, few online purchases, no social media, etc. ; still get this kind of junk. Any more it's just an annoyance than any real threat.

I miss the days when travelers and gypsies would go door to door pedaling the watered down barn paint scam.

Latest posts

Back