• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beth Gilgun, noted for period clothing, has passed ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regret to tell you that Ken Hamilton had informed that Beth Gilgun just recently passed.

I did not know her personally, but many a good friend in our MZL Community spent many a day afield with her or enjoyed her company at various historical events, like historic Deerfield.

Beth Gilgun brought the mid to late 1700s to life with her entertaining and informative book, "Tidings From the 18th Century". It was written in the form of "letters" to a friend on the frontier. Great for reenactors, teachers, historic interpreters, and theatrical costumers. As an accomplished seamstress and goodwife, Gilgun shares with her "friend" information on clothing for men, women and children, as well as other topics of daily life in Colonial America.
Rest in peace, Beth. She was a wonderful, intelligent woman. I was glad to have known her and talked to her about the hobby.

She was so nice! My friend Bryan and I hung out with her at Prickett’s Fort one year during School of the Longhunter. We were teaching a course on laying out and building a corduroy road, she was doing a clothing thing. She had just turned 50- it might even have been her birthday while we were there. She and I talked about 17th century hats, and a couple of month later she sent me a photocopy of Kristie Buckland’s monograph on Monmouth caps. I made my first shirt and my son’s first Rendezvous outfit out of her book.
Jay

Back