• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best way to use spit patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the OP's comment; Yes you can use a strip and keep the end in your mouth or suck on it while you load powder. I prefer to cut my patch and put it in my mouth till I'm ready to load. I usually only do this on woods walks. After I shoot I cut a patch and put it in my mouth and travel to the next station. That has me shooting square patches by the way.

I’ve used spit patches for over 20 years at rendezvous and hunting. Still do. I’ve never had issues with loading, accuracy or fouling. Simply put a patch and ball in my mouth, then measure and pour in my powder charge.

When hunting, I’ll go 2-3 hunts before I discharge and reload.

I shoot a lot at the range. I always use a spit patch. When I’m hunting I use mink oil. As of right now my rifle has been loaded for 10 days waiting on that just right buck or bear to shoot. Spit dries and I don’t want the risk of a rust ring. Spit for the range and mink oil for hunting. I used to cut my patches at the muzzle. Did it that way for years. Decided one day to compare precutting them and cutting at the muzzle. Absolutely zero difference in accuracy. Precuts are much easier for me. When I’m hunting I just carry three roundballs and three mink oil lubed patches (in a ziplock) in my bag. I’ve never felt the need to carry more.

Last edited:
When i spit patch, i just like having my patches pre cut. Chew one a bit, work a little spit through it, and wipe the excess off with my lips when i remove it from my mouth. It works good. Except you really want to touch that load off within an hour before it dries up...or freezes.

I have come to prefer pre lubed these days. Whatever you use, prepare about a 2 foot strip ahead of time, roll it up, and put it in an old copenhagen can with 5 or 6 balls for convenience. Use a brass or silver snuff can though if you are a historical purist though. Just start your ball over the end of your strip, and cut flush with the muzzle using your patch knife and ram it down.

As per the OP's comment; Yes you can use a strip and keep the end in your mouth or suck on it while you load powder. I prefer to cut my patch and put it in my mouth till I'm ready to load. I usually only do this on woods walks. After I shoot I cut a patch and put it in my mouth and travel to the next station. That has me shooting square patches by the way.
I do it this way also.

At shoots back in the early 1970's , some guys used to take some cordage and attach a big size sewing needle to the cord. Their patches were strung on the cord and the cord was attached to their shot pouch front strap.The cord held the patches in place once the needle was removed , they could easily remove one patch at a time when loading. Some made spit patch one at a time , while others w/no spit , lubed the individual patches with what ever.

I have learned a lot! Thank you all. I'm waiting for the weekend to try the spit patch at the range to see if I can be consistent. Now I wonder what that mysterious grease was in the patchbox/grease hole, surely any rendered fat would melt and flow at anything warmer than freezing.

I have learned a lot! Thank you all. I'm waiting for the weekend to try the spit patch at the range to see if I can be consistent. Now I wonder what that mysterious grease was in the patchbox/grease hole, surely any rendered fat would melt and flow at anything warmer than freezing.
Mixed with tallow, pretty hard to get rid of tallow.

I think I read somewhere that you can now get spit in a spray bottle. Really! Sometimes you just can't whet your whistle on a cold, windy day so having a premeasured bottle of spit handy does the job. Now, during hunting season it seems like many of the suppliers tend to get colds. So it is probably prudent to add a little water to thin things down a bit if you prefer to buy it in gallon jugs.:ghostly:

At shoots back in the early 1970's , some guys used to take some cordage and attach a big size sewing needle to the cord. Their patches were strung on the cord and the cord was attached to their shot pouch front strap.The cord held the patches in place once the needle was removed , they could easily remove one patch at a time when loading. Some made spit patch one at a time , while others w/no spit , lubed the individual patches with what ever.

I still do it this way! Pluck them off one at a time.
Attach them to a buckle, or a strap or whatever.

the best way to use a spit patch is to spit on it! unless you are in the over 70+++group then you will sometimes run out!

Hygene is a priority when I'm shootin. I wear rubber gloves so not to be contaminated by the toxic lead balls and unsanitized black powder. And most importantly a hazmat type respirator for the foul smelling smoke as I discharge my long gun and spray toxic spittle all over the woods....
Sorry, I just couldn't supress my unhygienic opinion any longer.

Last edited:
Considering personal hygiene, using spit patches is not the wisest thing to do, when there are better options.
didn;t your mother ever tell you that you have to eat a peck of dire before you die? a peck is a measure used when we were kids back in the 40.s. that was a saying back in the day.

My two cents. I use precut-presoaked patches while at the range where I’m firing relatively fast. In the field I follow the same procedure as others describe, a few grease lubed patches and balls. My presoaks are generally precut patches that I will lightly spray with a concoction of 1 part Murphy oil soap, 2 parts water solvable oil (ballistic) and 13 parts water. Mix a batch put in a spray bottle and mist both sides of patch, but not soak. These damp patches are the put in a plastic (naugahide) container that ice fishing bait came in. Usually do this the day before going to the range so wet lube can evenly distribute thru the patches. Have even allowed the patches to set out and let the water evaporate to make a dry oily patch that works well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back